We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

Arriving into DMK on a Saturday 4:05 PM after 3 very long flights, ideally would like to just jump into a taxi and take it to the hotet but am afraid traffic going to be a problem. Should I take taxi or the A1/A2 bus to BTS Mor Chit and BTS the rest of the way instead ?

TIA

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

I did the bus option last time and it was very convenient, easy and cheap (about 75 baht in total), but I'd only got a 15Kg rucksack. If you've got a suitcase and/or lots of bags it might not be an option.

The time prior to that I got a taxi (350 baht), but was queueing for ages to get one (though this was around high season Dec/Jan) and when I got to Sukhumvit there's always congestion but you could always get out and walk if you're waiting too long. If you got the BTS you'd have to walk from Nana anyway so it would only be an additional 200-300m.

After the 3 long flights I think perhaps taxi would be easiest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,152 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

After 3 long flights it has to be a taxi.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

If you are coming from Toronto this is the first post I remember reading where someone using 3 flights from N. America ends up at Don Muang. Most flights end at Suvarnabhumi. (Long flights for me means something around 8 to 14 hours between stops.)

Arriving around 4 pm is a good time to get to Bangkok. My advice is to take a shower and go out and do something and not go to sleep until after 10 pm! If you are not just flying in from a nearby country, get your body on Thai time as soon as possible and it will be easier for you to adjust. Get up by 8 am and get the show on the road!

if you are in a cheap hotel and want to save money you can play with the buses and rail service. (Cheap to me is 900 baht and below.) In a more expensive hotel or don't want to carry your bags around in the heat use a meter taxi and be done with it!

Read up on how to use taxis from the airport and in the city.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

Take a taxi. It's not expensive and air conditioned.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

Thanks, I wasn't really worried about cost, it's more that I don't want to get stuck in Bangkok traffic for hours on end on Saturday late afternoon. Taxi it is then.

Using Air Canada award, first two segments are Toronto-Taipei and Taipei-Singapore. Last leg Singapore - Bangkok is on Air Asia

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

Check your weight limits for the Singapore to Bangkok flight. Your bag weight limits may be okay for larger airlines coming from N. America but Air Asia may be charge you for being overweight. Unless this is already figured in the award calculations.

Have fun.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,730 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

infidelal: on Air Asia there is no automatic luggage allowance. You have to purchase what you need anyway.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

We took a taxi last Tuesday from Don Mueang to Sukhumvit soi 20. The metre was 180 baht, we paid 65 baht and 45 baht for the highway tolls and then 50 baht airport surcharge. So a total of 340 baht.

If the traffic is bad, the taxi driver usually suggests the highway. After those kind of flights, it would definitely be easier to hop in a taxi. In December we were waiting close to 45 minutes for a taxi, but last week it was less than 5 minutes.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

[quote]In December we were waiting close to 45 minutes for a taxi, but last week it was less than 5 minutes.[/quote]

That's very useful info! :]

I had the same wait in December which lead me to try the Bus + BTS option in May/June.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don Muang airport to Sukhumvit 15

"infidelal: on Air Asia there is no automatic luggage allowance. You have to purchase what you need anyway."

She is starting in Canada with full service airlines using miles. Weight limit for Delta is 70 pounds free without an elite card. I imagine Air Canada has something similar to be competitive. Maybe it doesn't matter. I can't recall any flight from North America ending up at Don Muang since Suvarnabhumi opened up. Learn something new every day!