We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

dimako83
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Hi,

Which deet repellent would you recommend me to buy and where can I buy it in Suvarnabhumi? I will be landing in Bangkok and taking a flight to Chiang Mai and for a week. after reading about the Dengue epidemic I'd like to buy some repellent before I arrive there so I will need to buy it inside the airport

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Can't say I have ever seen it at the airport (but then to be fair I always bring it with me from UK) but if anywhere I would suggest Boots pharmacy, there is one in International and Domestic.

I usually use Jungle Formular brand but any brand with 33% deet is good.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Boots has a 50% DEET gel and a roll-on which are quite effective. You can probably get them in the Boots pharmacy on Level 3.

dimako83
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

50%? Wouldn't that kill me? :-) I was told that DEET could be bad but I guess Dengue is worst.

Thank you for all your comments

Centreville...
Level Contributor
168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Is 33% deet enough? Years ago when I went to Mexico I was told to get 100% for protection against dengue.

I just got some at eastern mountain sports in the states, any outdoor stores should have it. They told me if there was a health concern, go for the most powerful

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

First of all, the "toxic DEET" twaddle is just urban legend. Secondly, the higher concentration just means an increase in the amount of time the repellant is effective, but does not mean it's more effective. Fifty percent DEET will protect you for 12 hours without having to be reapplied.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Hi,

Boots have several types in the airport shops and you can easily pick some put when you transit Suvarnabhumi. Also Chiang Mai has many branches of Boots and Watsons so you can pick up some more when you are in the city.

Cheers

dimako83
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

Thank you all; you have been very helpful.

I should also spray the room don't I? Any specific recommendation what to use? or just buy a DEET spray and spray it over the room before we leave and when we come back in the evening?

Thank you

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

DEET _only_ works on the skin as a repellant. It doesn't even work if sprayed on clothing. If you want to spray the room to kill mosquitoes, there are other products for that. Anti-mosquito coils are quite cheap and effective as well. Just don't burn the house down.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

We buy a spray tin of Baygon from 7-11 or supermarkets. When we leave for our evening meal we spray the bathroom and then the main room. By the time we come back the fumes have gone.

When we sit on the balcony having drinks at night we burn one of the coils - these aren't meant to be used indoors, only outdoors.

The Boots repellant is good, my parents use this when they come out to visit - they like the gel because you can see if you have missed any bits as it's easy to see it on your skin.

10. Re: Which Deet repellent and where to buy it in Bnagkok airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:17