We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Yes, Another Beach Question

Sorry for another beach question! I've scoured lots of differing opinions in the forums, so hoping there are some good inputs to my specific scenario.

Will be at business meetings in Bangkok but can tack on two days before heading home. I'll be able to hit the beach all day Sunday and Monday:

*Leave Bangkok early Sunday to travel to the location

*Stay overnight Sun and Mon

*VERY early taxi to BKK on Tue for 7am flight

I'm considering Koh Samet, Koh Larn, Hua Hin ... I don't want a complete dead-zone. A mix of some fun with relaxation is ideal. I'll be a single female traveller so safety and not being bugged too much is important to me.

I would take a private car / taxi to the beach location and then back to BKK (any recommendation on good drivers are appreciated).

What would be your recommendation of location? Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Hi,

For ease of getting there and back I would choose Hua Hin as you don't need to worry about boat transfers. The beaches on the islands are likely more pretty however Hua Hin is a fantastic Thai town, lots to see and do but very easy to chill out. We went for the first time in May and loved it. If you stay close to the centre it's easy to walk everywhere, there are plenty of restaurants and bars around and there is a night market in walking distance also.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Forget Koh Larn its got some fine beaches but its for the day trippers, and not really an overnight location.

If your trip is in the next couple of months whilst it is the rainy season I would suggest Hua Hin. This is a lovely laid back resort with more to do in the way of bars, restaurants, shops and markets, than say Koh Samet which is a small (lay on the beach) island.

If your going November to April then both Hua Hin and Koh Samet both have their merits and well worth a 2 or 3 days visit from Bangkok

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
260 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Hua Hin, Laid back. Markets, Great food. Cheap. Taxi to & fro, easy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Thanks everyone - that's super helpful. It will be late October, so hopefully just coming out of rainy season.

Any recommendations on good private transit or hotels in Hua Hin? Thanks!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Hua hin was wonderful.

new brunswick
Level Contributor
545 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Your choice is limited to Hua Hin or Pattaya.

If going Hua Hin, you can take any BKK taxi in daytime, one way fare is roughly 1800 - 2500 B range ( Not by meter for out-of-town trip ). For return leg, you need to pre-arrange transport back to Airport and leave hotel around 2 am or even earlier in order to make it to airport at 5 am. Book private car well in advance and expect higher fare.

Pattaya is a bit easier in terms of timing and transportation.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

The 7am departure is the main thing limiting your choices. It means you will have to be at the airport by 5am. Maybe 6am if you fast track.

The islands requires using a ferry or speedboat. These will not run in the night so you really are limited to Hua Hin unless.....

1) you can escape work earlier on Sat and make a dash down to Samed catching the last speedboat over. That way you can spend the entire Sunday there and most of Monday before returning to BKK and spending the evening in Bangkok before heading to the airport Tuesday morning.

2) same for Hua Him (minus the boats) I don't think a 3hour drive in the middle of the night before getting on a plane is fun.

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

We stayed at Baan Laksasubha & loved it :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

Thanks! I'm considering Baan Laksasubha to stay.

Mmonkie - any specific reason why the night drive isn't good? If it's just a matter inconvenience, then I'm not to worried. Travelling biz so I can sleep on the plane :)

Alas, I can't skip out early on Sat - I'm at a dinner until late. Hoping it can all workout for Hua Hin.

Has anyone taken the train to Hua Hin? I hear it's long (3-4 hrs) but a really nice trip. Was thinking of the 8am Sat one.

uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yes, Another Beach Question

I would have thought Pattaya would be the obvious choice, you have beaches to relax plus some of the best nightlife in Thailand from what i hear!