We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live seafood with reasonable price

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Live seafood with reasonable price

Hello, I will be in Bangkok for the first time and I am a big fan of seafood which are still alive in water tanks, then you let them cook them. Can you pls recommend me some good places where the prices are reasonable? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

The places that I know of with display tanks are touristy - tending to be overpriced and mediocre or worse quality.

If you want such a place, the one linked to below is often mentioned. Based on the comments of friends, we have not tried the place so can't personally rave or rant...

http://www.seafood.co.th/index.php

frommers.com/destinations/bangkok/D3137.html

fodors.com/world/…review-173844.html

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1…

If a taxi driver tries to take you to the SomboonDee Seafood "restaurant" get another cab!:

Despite TA's rankings, this is the perennially lowest-rated resto in Bangkok. The other ~5000 places are blank entries, with no reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Somboondee Seafood Restaurant
Somboondee Seafood...
413 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Thailand
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

For this kind of question, one needs to have local Thai friends.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

I agree with EarthlingOnline, the good seafood places Mrs Gippy and myself visit have seafood on ice, not in tanks. One of the links above is for the Seafood Market and Restaurant, this has been on several TV shows and has 1,500 seats, that should give you an idea of what to expect without bothering to go there.

Mentioned in this post
The Seafood Market and Restaurant
The Seafood Market and...
728 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

Depends on just how desperate you are. Citing my own experience I've yet to come across live seafood in tanks, in Bangkok but likely that's because we don't frequent the touristy restaurants to which EarthlingOnline alludes, much preferring street food stalls/ Food Courts. But I can tell you this, we have stayed over the river from Bangrak. Over there is a street food stall type restaurant, no aircondit,( don't know the name ) which is popular with the locals, mostly picking up food to take home/stopping on their motor bikes.The pictorial menu has English captions.Most importantly on offer are LIVE mud crabs, all trussed up. Here in Queensland we have strict male only size limits, these don't have 15 cm across carapaces -- a bit smaller

How to get there?

Take the BTS Sky Train through Saphan Taskin to Wongwain Yai Station,down the stairs, walk away from the river for about 500 metres until you come to the main road which has traffic lights and is VERY busy There, walk directly to the other side, turn right and about 50 metres along the footpath on your left ,you'll find the place. Make sure the crabs are alive, speak to the cook, select your crab. Steamed ( we like it best boiled in salt water here). Served whole with a piquant Thai sauce. Cost- about- 420 BHT ($15AUD).. Best at night. Genuine Thai food, a good selection, and cheap! The deep fried crumbed prawns, as an entrée, go well with a large bottle of Heineken.. Enjoy if you get there.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Cafe Bangrak
Cafe Bangrak
145 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
882 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

Hi Huy Luan N,

No fish tanks, not fancy, just good fresh seafood, reasonably priced, check out T&K Seafood in Chinatown. Check out menu and prices in the visitor photos.

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown - Bangkok
Chinatown - Bangkok
6,550 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: Live seafood with reasonable price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18