We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
533 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

I'm taking a friend to Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital for a consultation and am trying to decide where to stay. The hospital sent us a list of several possibilities and I've narrowed it down to two. Both are within budget and look like good possibilities.

Would appreciate thoughts on those neighborhoods and convenience factors for a stay of 5 or 6 days. If all goes according to plan, we should have some time left over to be casual tourists during parts of those days.

I've looked at a map, and both seem pretty close to the hospital, though only the first one looks walkable. I would imagine that ease of reaching a Skytrain stop is also important for getting around the city.

Would appreciate input and advice. Here are the two hotels.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d118615…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d253217…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

I am sure both would suit your needs, I was going to suggest Oakwood Residences as being nearest the hospital that I know of.

The area is absolutely fine.

Your other alternative is to stay near phron phong BTS station and just get cabs or motorbike taxis to the hospital when needed.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

If ggogle maps is correct then the Ariva is closer to the hospital. Looks like its near Thonglor 21 and Samitivej is on Thonglor 13. Getting to the hospital should be fairly easy either walking or by taxi. That area of Thonglor is quite pleasant, afew pubs, restaurants etc. Even the street food is good (the duck noodle stall that sets up outside the family mart). However the downside is its pretty far from the BTS.

Oakwood is on Suk 24 almost directly across from Emporium Shopping Centre and a short walk to BTS Phrom Pong.The hospital is too far to walk but if you cross over to the odd numbered side of Suk you can easily catch a taxi to get there or a tuk tuk from soi 39 (B30). You will find alot of japanese restaurants in the area (ramen, izakaya, teppan etc).

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Many thanks to both the above Destination Experts for their speedy replies. Both neighborhoods and locations do sound good.

I realize from past visits to Bangkok (none recent) that transportation can be a major headache. Is it still fairly easy to catch a tuk tuk for the short distance between either of these hotels and the hospital or the BTS station?

Appreciate the help.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Samitivej H. is on Sukhumvit Soi 49. I would stay at perhaps Oakwood. It is very easy and a short distance from PhromPong BTS station to the hospital by taxi.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Yes. I used to live 15min walk from Samitivej.

Use the bts station to cross over to the other side of Sukhumvit and grab a taxi from there. The noodle shop outside of the family mart is good.

About 10m into soi39 are tuk tuks that charged about B30 to take you to the hospital.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Thanks again.

Apologies in advance for asking so many questions, but our plane arrives at Suvarnabhumi at 2:35 p.m. on a weekday. I'm wondering about the advisability of taking the BTS Airport link part of the way vs. just taking a taxi all the way to the hotel.

If I read the urban rail map right, it would take two line changes plus a taxi at the Phrom Pong stop, which is not terribly convenient. Am more concerned about the time than the expense.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

If you decide to take the trains, it will be the city line to Ratchaprarop station, switch/walk over to Phaya Thai BTS and get off at Phrom Pong.The hotel is a short walk from there, no need for a taxi unless you cannot walk.

Another route is train to Makkasan, switch/walk to Petchaburi MRT.Take that to Sukhumvit and walk/switch to Asoke BTS and take that to Phrom Pong.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

#7 -- Thanks for the route information. Can walk OK and won't have much luggage, so might just do it by BTS.

Was mainly wondering if a taxi from the airport to the hotel would likely encounter gridlock or lengthy stop-and-go traffic mid-afternoon on a weekday.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 04:09
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

If I have alot of luggage (2pieces) its taxi. If all I have is something small, trains.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Near Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Got it. Thanks.