We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Hello! I'm travelling in Thailand throughout the month of September, including Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Phangan. I'm wondering whether to pack my proper waterproof Berghaus jacket, which is easy to bunch up into my backpack, but sill a little bulky, or buy a cheap, thin, plastic kagool/mac (the sort you wear at festivals).

Will I need a more durable waterproof for the rains, or can I get away with the lesser, cheaper mac? I want to keep my backpack fairly light but want to stay dry when it down pours!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Get the cheap ones. Lived there for years and never owned a proper rain coat.

Getting an umbrella would be better, protects you from the sun and rain.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Thank you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

If needed. pick up a cheap poncho, or umbrella, here.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Hi

I always bring 4 to 6 really cheap plastic throw away ponchos they are about the size of a small wallet.

they have a hood and reach past my knees cost about $1 US

I always keep one in my day pack just in case. I only bring a light waterproof windbreaker. the ones I don't use I leave for family or in the rooms as a small extra tip..

In all of my trips I have only needed them twice.

you will find in the heat and humidity a proper full size mac or raincoat will be ungodly hot and cumbersome.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 00:28
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Umbrella only. Wearing any kind of raincoat is going to make you just as wet on the inside through sweat. If the rain is heavy, as it often is, you won't be walking around anyway. You will be taking cover as when it rains, it really rains.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Buying an umbrella won't cost much in Bangkok. I have been using the same fold up umbrella for many years. The rain that falls is warm, you won't need any fancy rain cover. I have even seen people with big garbage bags covering themselves.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Hi

I got caught in a down pour one day It came up real fast and there were no buildings to go into

the only thing around was a covered bus stop already full of people so I pulled out my poncho threw it on and weathered the storm.. the storm lasted maybe 15 to 20 mins then was gone and the sun came out and it was hot and muggy. I took off my poncho and gave to a local kid he was happy and I was dry. I did notice some people with umbrella's got their lower legs wet as there was wind blowing the rain.and cars splashing

as the streets were full of water

Edited: 22 August 2013, 04:30
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

If you are out, and you feel a drop of water come from the direction of the sky, start looking for possible shelter. If you wait till it starts to rain, most spots will already be taken.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Umbrellas are no good if you plan to ride motorcycle taxis. The thin almost disposable rain coats are the most handy choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September travel: thin rain mac or proper waterproof jacket?

Either or both umbrella & light cheap poncho.