We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
6 posts
Save Topic
What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Hi

I will be visiting bangkok in october. My tour operator provided me only breakfast all the days. So I need to have it outside. we are 2 members. I heard that the food (indian) is costly there. So how can i go ahead? My tour operator told that he can provide lunch if we pay 500 INR per meal per person. I feel its costly. Thats y I am thinking to have it on my own.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

What is that in THB?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Yes, Indian food is pricier as its mostly foreigners, tourist and expats, who eats it.

Thai food on the other hand can be as cheap as B30.

The price depends on what you eat and where you eat.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,184 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

500 INR is 250 baht. There's cheap Indian food in Pahurat "Little India" but otherwise you're better off to eat Thai food.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

When in Thailand eat Thai!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Food in your country must be really cheap if you consider 500 THB costly.

In a really no frills Indian place like Ganesha you would pay 250 THB for a Thali set veg only. This eaterie is used by local Indians. Inedible food for my taste. It is South Indian.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Yes, Indian food in Bangkok is expensive as I had Indian food couple of times when I was there in Pratunam area in May. It cost us almost 900 TBH for three people but the food was nice. As others have mentioned, thai food is very cheap and super delicious. In this case, I guess you should try out Thai food and I m sure you will like it. Try the food courts at most shopping malls such as MBK, Platinum, Siam Paragon etc and I m sure you will find something you will like...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

Better yet, try all the food carts and street food everywhere in Bangkok - it is all delicious, freshly made each day for the most part and an adventure every day as to what kind of food to eat. It's also lots of fun to try different things. Don't go to the tourist restaurants, go where you see the locals eating and you can be sure the food will be good, delicious and cheap...

Why come all the way to Thailand to find Indian food when you can get that at home...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

I of course cannot say what your tour operator would include in the 250 baht (500 rupee) lunch, but an Indian restaurant in the lower Sukhumvit tourist area probably would charge about 150 baht for a single dish. I can believe that the prices would be a bit cheaper in Pahurat (Little India) but that area is off the most beaten path next to Chinatown (Yaowarat). I have been told that there also are good Indian restaurants near Khao San Road (the backpacker ground zero).

On the other hand, a few days ago I had a plate of fried rice with chicken in a random restaurant at JJ Market next to Chatuchak for 40 baht. A can of beer was 35 baht. At outdoor markets you are able to have a plate of Thai food with rice for as little as 30 baht (60 rupees), A sandwich might cost 24 baht at a 7-ELEVEN convenience store, but that will also be less food than you would be served at a market for 30 baht.

9. Re: What is the price of food in Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:18