We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

klongs/river boat - confused!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
klongs/river boat - confused!

I only have a day and a half in bangjok and want to see the Grand Palace and experience the klongs.

I am stayi.g in silom but am confused about all the different types of boats etc to take.

We are a famiky of 5. What is the easiest and most cost effective way to experience the klongs whilst taking/stoppibg off at key sights?

Am arriving today!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

Go to central pier. Get on the orange boat with the orange flag. Pay your fare on board, just a few baht, very cheap. You can get on and off wherever you like, just pay each time.

2. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 01:16
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

#1 is good advice as such, but using the Chao Phraya express boats including the orange-flagged one will give you only a view of the river scenery. These boats do not enter the small canals connected to the river.

If you want to see these small canals, joining an organized tour may be your best option

bangkok.com/attraction-waterway/khlongs.htm

bangkok.com/city---culture-tours/klongstour.… (there probably are other operators, too)

Seeing the river is quite worthwhile even if you take the orange boat all the way to Nonthaburi. It is about 1 hour to Nonthaburi from the Central Pier which can easily by reached from Silom using the Skytrain (Saphan Taksin station) or a taxi. The boat fares for your family will be altogether 225 baht if you do the following itinerary with the organge flag boat: Central/Sathorn pier to Tha Chang (N9) - visit Grand Palace - walk to visit Wat Pho - take boat from Tha Tien (N8) to Nonthaburi (end of line) - get off and onto the next boat to Central pier.

The Saen Saeb canal boat provides a rather interesting view to a less modern side of Bangkok, especially the shorter Golden Mount line …wikipedia.org/wiki/Khlong_Saen_Saep_boat_se… . However, these boats are hauling passengers on the route as quickly as they can so you have little time to enjoy the scenery. On the other hand, if you decide to visit the Golden Mount the canal boat stop is not far and you can use the boat to get to Pratunam. From Pratunam you can walk south to the Erawan shrine and see the temple dancers at a busy street intersection. At that point you are in the middle of a shopping heaven with a walking distance to the huge malls in the Siam area.

england
Level Contributor
411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

thank you to both. please could you clarify, to see the "other" more traditional side, is there a particular line i need to take and what is it called and where is best to pick it up? the links via bangkok.com show many different klong routes.

sorry if i did not understand but because i have limited time i just want to be able to turn up at the right place for the right thing.

thank you

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

If you say your hotel name, then the experts here will be able to give you the best way to reach the palace.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

I would go to Sathorn Pier (the same one where the river express boats stop) and organize your tour there. You will want to arrange to travel by "longtail boat" and not the big express boats. The longtails can take you into the smaller canals on the other side of the river. There is no particular company that I can name. We have always been able to arrange something at the pier, at a small stand where they advertise klong tours. You can probably get a slightly longer boat ride and make stops at other places of interest as well. We were able to include a stop at the Royal Barge Museum to see a (small) selection of the King's Barges.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

The "other side" was referring to the side of Bangkok which does not consist of tall flashy modern condominiums, office buildings and shopping malls. From the Saen Saeb canal boat on the Golden Mount line (see the Wikipedia link) you can see low and even quite run-down residential buildings nesting on the canal, small mosques and temples, fishing equipment, etc.

However, I'm sure you will see the same and more if you take an organized khlong tour to the less heavily developed Thonburi (west side) of the river. Since you have limited time going out of your way just to ride the Saen Saeb canal boat hardly is worth the effort. The piers are marked on online maps. The Pratunam pier where the two different boat lines interconnect is very close to the Platinum Fashion mall which is one of the better places to shop for cheap clothing in air conditioned comfort.

Note that if you have mobility issues, the Saen Saeb canal boats are quite challenging, I would not take the Saen Saeb boats with very young children, either. The boats make very short stops and you have to stand on a very narrow ledge and duck under the roof to clamber onto the boat. The Chao Phraya express boats are much easier, since they have a large alighting platform at the back and you use stairs to descend into the roofed passenger section.

8. Re: klongs/river boat - confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:19