We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice- First Trip

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
43 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Advice- First Trip

Hi,

I am travelling on Tuesday to Bangkok and will be staying for 11 days before heading to Vietnam. I am travelling solo with my 10 year old daughter.

We are staying in Sukhumvit Soi 21 Wattana.

I haven't got much ideas on what we could do over there. I would love to see some animals, do some shopping and visit temples. I would love to get an idea of the culture. I'd also love to get some glasses made for my vision changes as well.

Would anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking through trip adviser to get ideas as well.

Also I am needing passport photos for our VOA to Vietnam. Would anyone know if this is easy to get in Thailand? Or should I do it beforehand? Just thought it would be cheaper in Thailand but unsure of how easily accessible it will be.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice- First Trip

You've got to go to the Grand Palace in Bangkok. Siam is the area for shopping, big malls and also smaller shops in Siam Square.

Are you sure you want to spend your entire 11 days in Bangkok? You could go up to Chiang Mai, see some elephants and enjoy the temples up there. Or pop down to Hua Hin and go to Khao Takiab (monkey mountain) and the Black Mountain Waterpark is great fun for kids!

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
43 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice- First Trip

I would love to go up to Chiang Mai but heard the trains were not to be used.

I am alittle concerned about dragging suitcases around with a 10 year old??

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice- First Trip

Hi

You could go up to Chiangmai with either bus or with low cost airlines. The low cost airlines the like of air Asia, Nok airs, Thai smile and orient Thai are not much different from bus or train tickets really.

Agree with Shane maybe 3-4 nights in Bangkok then the rest in chianmai. If you don't want Chiangmai then beach town closer to Bangkok only a couple of hours is Hua Hin or head south of Bangkok to kanchanburi for a few days.

Cheers,

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice- First Trip

I don't think lugging the suitcases around would be an issue. Taxi's are not expensive in Thailand compared to the West, so you could get a taxi from your hotel to Don Muang airport for less than 500Bt. A flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai would be only 1000-2000Bt. Then a taxi to a central hotel only 200Bt. It'd be practically door to door with hotel staff and taxi drivers no doubt willing to help you.

A taxi to Hua Hin would be 1500-2000Bt and would take about 2hrs.

Either or both destinations would be worth the minor inconvenience of travelling. First time I went I had a hotel in Bangkok for the full stay but then headed to Phuket with just hand luggage. Nice hotels can be found for less than 1000Bt a night, and in low season real bargains can be had! What month are you travelling?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice- First Trip

Donr forget to read the FAQ's in the right (not visable from mobiles)

FAQ What To See & Do & FAQ Bangkok SHOPPING

Your son might enjoy some beach time so as suggested Hua Hin would be good for a few days.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice- First Trip

"I am travelling on Tuesday to Bangkok and will be staying for 11 days before heading to Vietnam. I am travelling solo with my 10 year old daughter."

That's a long time just for Bangkok. Taking in another city, like Chiang Mai, would round out your trip a little bit. After making it all the way from Queensland to various airports and then to your hotel in Bangkok another short trip should be easy.

Read up on how to get from the airport to your hotel. Remember Bangkok has 2 airports. Know which one you arrive at. And if you fly to Chiang Mai know which airport the plane departs from. The hotel in Bangkok can store some items for you if you want. Get them back when you return for a couple nights before you fly home. Buy your big, heavy/clunky stuff when you return to Bangkok. That way you won't have to lug your shopping around with you changing hotels.

Buy a travel guide on Thailand. (Or if your country has a free lending library borrow one and bring it on the trip.) Read up on Thailand and see what interests you. In each major city you can sign on to tours through local travel agencies and even some hotels have tour desks. On these tours you will be with other tourists.

Take the time to read the FAQ's on the side under the heading "Top Questions about Bangkok." Use the SEARCH option to locate posts asking similar questions.

(If you can't find any of the FAQ's or difficult to use the SEARCH choice - switch to real computer.)

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice- First Trip

What's wrong with the trains? I'm going in November and had always thought that was the best way to get to Chiang Mai...

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice- First Trip

There's mixed reports on trains in Thailand. I believe there's been serveral derailments recently and, in certain areas at least ,practically always run behind schedule. Some people do have positive things to say about the also - for example in Isaan I really enjoyed the views of the countryside from the train - so have a read around.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice- First Trip

What to do??

Experience the city, people, food and culture!

Walk around the city after a good breakfast. Eat street food which is amazing. Visit the temples and cultural attractions. Walk around one of the several malls to cool off. Have your daughter lead the way one day(what she wants to do). Go to the markets.

There is so much to do. Read the FAQ's on the right>>>.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice- First Trip

Jeremy,

There have been eleven derailments or similar accidents on rail line to/from Chiangmai and BKK recently. Additionally its usually late, and a very long trip vs going by air (45 min). Price aren't that different between rail and low-cost airlines out of Don Muang. That's why many are avoiding the rail option between BKK and Changmai. At least until proposed repairs of the line are completed.