We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making connections in Bangkok airport

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Making connections in Bangkok airport

Can anyone tell me the layout of Bangkok airport and where the Ethiad airlines arrivals area is in relation to the departure area for Bangkok airlines?

I am trying to make a connection to Phuket arriving late evening on an international flight and hoping to make an onward connection on a domestic flight.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated as I have tried every avenue I can think of to find out the layout of the airport and which airlines use which areas of the concourse!

Thank you!

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

Simply follow the signs "Transit Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai...." and you will get to the corner of Concourse A,B,C and D where you transit directly to the domestic departure gates.

I am not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly EY arrives at a gate in Concourse E.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

Arrivals is located on Level 2 and so then you need to make your way up to Level 4 for Departures..not a hard airport to negotiate by any stretch..just leave youself enough time in case of inbound flight delays.*Go to the FAQ's on the right of this page and then "Flight Connections and Domestic Arrivals"..GOPBI our air travel expert explains step by step the procedure you will go through to eventually arrive at Level 4...painless really and you will be fine!

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

Sorry Jed, but with a connection from Etihad to Bangkok Airways you will check your bags trough to Phuket and therefore will transfer airside to the domestic departure gates in BKK.

Therefore you will stay on level 2 and not go to level 4 at all.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

Thank you for your comments, I understood I wouldnt be able to check the bags through to Phuket with Ethiad / Bangkok airlines? This was my worry as to time involved to collect bags, recheck them to Phuket and still make the flight. I have two hours from landing to take off....

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,289 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

You should be able to check your bags through. Bangkok Airways is a full service airline with interlining agreements. In that case, you just go through a transit Immigration clearance and pick up your bags in Phuket. You must ask the Etihad check-in agent at your departure airport. It's not obligatory if your flights aren't on the same ticket, but it's often extended as a courtesy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

la0wei it really does depend on if the TA has purchased the inbound /return flight to Phuket on the one 'single' ticket and so they therefore should double check with their original booking agent to clarify these things..Again here is GOPBI's spin on this ...

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5723…

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

SydneyJed, I am aware that airlines are not legally obliged to check bags through when on two tickets, but I also know, from numerous own experiences at various airports, that Etihad is checking bags through to Bangkok Airways regardless of ticket status.

8. Re: Making connections in Bangkok airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19