We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

We are a family of 4 who is coming to Bangkok for the first time. Would like to stay in a riverside location. Was thinking of staying at Shangri-La but have now noticed that Chatrium Riverside is offering accomodation for approx 1/2 of the price of Shangri-La.

Is Shangri-La that much better than the Chatrium? We have young children so would prefer to stay close to transport to get to the sights. Shopping is not a high priority for this trip - we are interested in sightseeing, some relaxation time by the pool, good food.

Many thanks for advice.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

Shangrila is a hugely overrated hotel. Completely hyped up. Try royal orchid Sheraton for a good rate

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

You will get a bigger room at the Chatrium for your money. Just keep in mind it is further down the river and you will need to use their shuttle boat if you want to travel by skytrain.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

Shangri la is a great hotel and location wise is better but rooms at the Chatrium are generaly larger and for half the price I would definately go with the Chatrium

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

Thanks everyone.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

We haven't stayed at the Chatrium but have stayed at the Shangri La and it's a beautiful hotel but if the Chatrium is half the price then I don't think I'd hesitate.

Level Contributor
8 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

I have stayed at both and the Chatrium is much better (check my review for Chatrium). The service at chatrium is top class and has all the services of a 5* hotel.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d1…

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

The Shang is a famous icon hotel, even Lady Di preferred to stay there when visiting Bangkok.

Today both are good choises, The Shang is older having about 800 rooms and Chatrium Riverside is stll pretty new having about 400 rooms.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

Shangri La is a great hotel and would be my choice.

UK
Level Contributor
879 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

We love the Chatrium so comfortable and relaxed, have you condsideeed a two room suite they are huge. The hotel service has for us always been top class. With the money you save you can spend on better things than a hotel. Taxis are easy to get, the location is good, the pool huge and overlooks the river. Chatrium is worthy of consideration

10. Re: Chatrium riverside or Shangri-La?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:17