We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Friends,

I will be staying in phuket for 4 days then my tickets are booked for bangkok, I will have another 4 days and now I am confused between Angkor wat and Koh Samui? I am travelling with my wife and 6 yr old kid, I am excited about going to Angkor wat but apprehensive about my kid getting bored there then someone suggested me Koh Samui, which looks to be a good option but I read it is quite similar to Phuket... So request your suggestion to help me choose from these two loacation..

Thanks,

Vineet

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Hi

With another 4 days head to Chiangmai. As much as like to say koh Samui but as you said you going to Phuket they are both beach destinations. In Chiangmai you would enjoy something different.

Have a read n Chiangmai forum and see if its for you.

Chiangmai have so much to offers !!

Edited: 08 September 2013, 09:11
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Angkot Wat is in Cambodia and going to another country will affect your visa. Phuket and Koh Samui are quite similar, Chiang Mai is a good suggestion, not being a beach destination.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Much as Angkor Wat is truly amazing and a favourite of mine with a 6 year old I would also head to Chiang Mai.

The temples are a lot of walking and climbing in very hot and humid conditions, even with an afternoon break at the hotel pool for the kids (which is what even adults often need!). I would imagine a child would get bored easily. Chiang Mai offers more for the young ones whilst being completely different from Phuket.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

I guess I don't have to say, but I will give another vote for Chiang Mai. You have already been to Phuket, so I can't see any reason why you also wants to go to Koh Samui. In Chiang Mai you can see some beautiful nature, great temples and lots of culture in the City.

I bet that your kid will be entertained too.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

Hello Vineet,

Visit Angkor Vat,it is incomparable. Koh Samui and Chiang Mai are disappointing according to my impressions from last year.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

I would also forget Samui and you don't say when you're travelling it might not even be good weather there, you need to do more research on both Chiang Mai and Siem Reap to see what would be the best option for your family.

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

I suggest to go back to BKK and take the train to the River Kwae and Kanchanabury. It's a fantastic place full of story and the nature is lovely over there. Lovely waterfalls!

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

How about spending the time at Bangkok itself? It has a lot of attractions.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

thanks friends...Since all of you advised against visiting Koh Samui, now choice is between Angkor wat and Chiangmai....Travel dates I am talking here are from 4th dec till 7th Dec.So I hope weather will not be a problem in both place..I have a flight from Bangkok on 8th so have to be in Bangkok maximum by 7th evening... I can have following itinerary for both option, Request if you can optimize either of this itinerary..

Angkor Wat

1) Will stamp visa for Cambodia before hand to avoid hassle at border.

2) Will be arriving from Phuket at 8AM, can go to Mochit station from airport which is within 10km radius and can take bus for Cambodia border

3) Take Bus or taxi at Cambodia border to Siem Reap. This step looks to very challenging and demotivating as there seems to be scamps and touts at border...Is there a way wherein we can book taxi in advance???

4) Will be at Siem Reap by 5PM on 4th Dec..

5) 5th Dec, spend full day in Angkor wat

6) Take direct bus from Siem Reap to Bangkok at 8:30AM and reach Bangkok by 4PM on 6th Dec.

Chiangmai

1) Enjoy full day in Bangkok on 4th and take evening train(No#1) at 6:10 PM to Chiangmai which will reach Chiangmai at 8:10 AM.

2) 5th and 6th stay in Chiangmai and on 6th evening take train no#52 at 5:30 PM, which will reach Bangkok on 7th Dec, 8:30 AM.

3) Chiangmai looks to be a hill destination, Pls suggest if 2 day are sufficient?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: After Phuket, where to go, koh samui or angkor wat??

You can't even scratch the surface of Chiangmai in 2 weeks let alone 2 days in chiangamai. Yes Chiangmai is up north surrounding with mountain.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 13:33