We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Hi All, I was researching local Thai sim card options for my week long trip to Bangkok in November. The Happy Tourist sim from DTAC sounds interesting dtac.co.th/en/…ShortStayVisitors.html.

Unfortunately, details on the sim are a bit sketchy. I understand that the 299BHT options comes with a 1GB allowance for 3G data. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone tried calling India or UK numbers on this sim? Any idea how much international calls cost? I will need to checkin with family occasionally.

Also, I presume it wouldn't be too difficult to get a nano sim for my iPhone 5 at the airport after I land?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Colonnade
££££, Asian, International
Latest Recipe - Le Meridien Bangkok
££ - £££, Seafood, International, Mediterranean
Shintaro
££££, Japanese, Sushi, Asian
88 replies to this topic
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,323 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

The other providers, AIS and True, also have competitive plans. On DTAC if you dial 004 instead of the default international access code "+" or 001, you'll get a rate of 17 baht a minute to the UK and 28 baht a minute to India. Other access codes are also available to all phones, which may have cheaper promo rates: 007, 008, 009.

On AIS, you can get cheaper rates with 005 or 00500. On True, the magic number is 006.

Dial 004 (or other access code) + country code (like 41) + number.

www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/services/004.html

Canowindra, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Yes I have been using this 299 sim the last 2 weeks. It is unlimited data/internet for 7 days with the first 1gb @ 48mb a second then a bit slower after that. Still fast enough I found. The calls to india are just 3 baht per minute at the moment on this sim. The sim includes 100 baht for calls. I topped up once for calls. Then tried to top up data after the seven days but no you cant. You throw sim away and buy another. Plenty of english instructions included and english option on call centre help line which I had to use as they had to cobfigure my phones internet settings to get it working. They just sent a file, I installed it with one click. Easy.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Can I buy this DTAC SIM card in DM airport?

In the webpage it only listed Swampy airport but DM airport is missing.

bangkok
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

This SIM is on Amazon Prime so you can grab it before you come to Thailand if you need pass your number out to friends or have it right when you land.

amazon.com/dp/…cm_sw_r_tw_dp_H1UGsb08NYZFN

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

has anyone successfully tried topping up with Internet plans on a HAPPY SIM 299 and met with success ?? Sorry so many conflicting opinions here so I am confused. Thanks, in asvance

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

I just arrived in Thailand and successfully topped off a free DTAC/Happy SIM that I got at the airport (Don Muang). I asked the tourist information desk where I can buy a SIM, and the guy reached behind the counter and gave me a free DTAC one with 15 BHT on it as a promotion. The SIM comes in standard and micro-size in the same package so no worries there. I was able to top it off online using my US credit card within a few minutes.

NOTE: it says 299 BHT online, but at the bottom it excludes the 7% VAT. You actually need 325 BHT credit.

Mentioned in this post
Don Muang Airport
Don Muang Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Thanks Krazy ! Wanted to know if you topped up your Internet plan ? I believe a simple top up gets your money into the CALL Account, so if that is right, then is there anything else that needs to be done to top up the INTERNET balance ? Rgds

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Check these links:

dtac.co.th/en/…TouristPrepaidSIM.html

dtac.co.th/en/…touristsim.html

I use DTAC regularly. If you go into more remote parts of Thailand, AIS may have slightly better coverage, and True Move slightly less coverage, than DTAC. But this all depends on the area - and areas frequented by most visitors should have roughly equally adequate coverage.

As noted, you can pick up a SIM in advance from overseas vendors. But I would not do that. As you can see from your question and the responses - it is probably better for you to get your SIM on arrival, after talking to the staff at one or more (AIS, DTAC, and True Move) booths in the arrivals hall at Swampy (BKK) airport. Promotions change from time to time - so you will want to enquire about the current ones. Ask about the tourist promotions - and also about any others.

You can top up any of the major mobile prepaid accounts at 7-Eleven, mobile shops, outlets of the operators themselves, operator Websites, etc. All over town. If you fall down on the rough sidewalk pavements in Bangkok, one foot will land in a restaurant, the other in a bar, and one of your hands will land in a place where you can top up your phone (almost true..).

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Dear Earthling,

Exhaustive !!! Just clarify, if I visit 7 11 and ask for a top up, then should I specifically ask for Top up ( or Refill) of INTERNET plan ? Reason is that I have adequate money in my CALL balance but ny 7 day Free INTERNET is coming to an end this Sun. Thanks and Rgds

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DTAC Happy Tourist sim

Visha, no 7-11 will not be able to extend your internet plan for you. You will need to text a number for the plan you want (as long as you have the credit on your sim to do this).

Look here for the plans available - dtac.co.th/en/…Happy-internet-package.html. Then, whichever plan you want, text the number for it and it will subscribe you to it.

Reply to: DTAC Happy Tourist sim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted