We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

IS
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

Hi

On 07/03/2014- I will be arriving to Suvarnabhum at 14:50-by an international flight.(have to apply for visa on arrival_)

There might be a long queue on immigration – Can I rush it somehow-Maybe by showing my next flight ticket?

.I want to book AirAsia flight to Ubon Racgthathani at 18:15 (from DonMuang)-

- In Total-The gap is :3hr 25min. (14:50->18:15) .

I can make an E check in a few days before and will take a taxi-meter and pay for the express way in order to arrive as quickly as possible.

I know I have to be at the airport (Don Muang)45 min. prior to the flight-that is at 17:30.

Do I have enough time?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

Yes you can make it, provided your incoming flight is not delayed.

You tips you need to follow though.

1) Keep VoA ready, fully filled up with appropriate sized photo.

…blogspot.com/-3TLV23bBti0/UBbFHrLGUII/AAAAA…

2) Do web check in for your AirAsia flight, this will give you another 15 minutes of time.

3) Try to reach the immigration faster as you disembark from the flight.

4) Just take a cab, instead of waiting for an Shuttle.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 13:56
IS
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

Thank you

Hopefuly U R right

I will go for it and pray for best …

Hope for short queue on immigration

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

There's a fast-track VOA that costs 1200 baht rather than 1000. That may help a bit.

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

At first I thought 'why don't take you take a flight from Suvarnabhumi?'. But then when I checked the AA site I know why you want to rush to DMK. Two hundred Baht for a one hour flight is unbeatable :). Anyhow, as long as you don't have check in luggage and traffic will not be against you, I agree that you shall be able to make it in time. If you'll consider to buy Fast Track service I would however suggest that you to add up a few more Baht and decide for a flight with Thai Airways that will deliver you 2 hours earlier in UBP than the AA flight.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 19:12
IS
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

Thank you :)

I am afraid I will have to check in luggage....

I suppose can limit my luggage to be less then 8 Kgs but I have a 90L backpake (I will use the space later for my shopping  ) which I am afraid will not meet aircraft restriction of a checked in baggage....

That is why I will have to be in Don Muang at 17:30 the latest if I want to catch air asia flight to UBON.

FYI the price is unbeatble-yeh, but...I am willing to pay more for a safe bate.

... I am afraid there isn't any...

Thai air-are the only company flying to UBON from Suvarnabhumi (2245THB)- their flight is at 16:25- which will leave me with a very small gap to check in my luggage as they will close theire counters 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

That is at 15:55 ( 65 min after my schedualed arrival..).

I figuerd that if I can be out at 15:55 I will depart to Don Muang immidietly this will leave me with 95 minutes to travel between the 2 airports (untill 17;30- the time Air Asia will close their counters in Don Muang )

I think the air asia choise might be even slightly easier…- not only cheaper.

Anyhow….Only problem is my luggage ….

Though coises… :)

IS
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

To Bil2p-

1200THB for VOA ????

Never heard of it...

I never paid for VOA in Thiland .(isnt it free of charge?)

Can you explain ...?

Edited: 16 September 2013, 19:52
IS
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

I think I may have used the wrong term- VOA

Actualy I am permitted to stay up to 30 days in Thailand under the “Visa Exemption Rule” if entering via international airport .

This is free of charge...

Only problen id the queue...

Mentioned in this post
Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

The queue is not a problem. Bill2p was adressing to the fast track possibility. One of many possibilities is

www.bangkok.com/fast-track-services.htm. This will bring you through customs quick and easy. The problem, if any, will be your luggage. There is not fast track service for your luggage. I guess that you're right. DMK may be the safer option if you have check in luggage.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

If you get through very quickly you can be out of the airport and in a taxi within 30 mins. You will, however, hit the start of rush hour traffic. I would consider fasttrack to get thru immigration.

You can buy fasttrack for 700 Baht from BFS. At least you dont get stuck at immigration if it is busy. Rather wait for the bag and go. Luggage never takes long to arrive in BKK.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,147 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have enough time between flights? should I risk it?

Guys, the fast-track services you are referring to are of no help to deganit, because he is not using the regular immigration counters.

He has to go to the Visa on Arrival desks (only two of them). The left lane is the regular lane with the normal THB 1000.- VOA fee and the right one is the fast-track lane with a THB 200.- surcharge. (No fast-track service company required for that). That's also the one bill2p referred to.

@dganit: Some additional recommendations:

Try to reserve a seat in the front section of your incoming flight. That way you are faster out the plane and may beat fellow travelers that also go for a VOA.

Have the equivalent of THB 10000.- available in cash with you. Just in case you are asked to show it at the VOA counter (not sure if INR are accepted, but e.g. US $ would be fine).

Edited: 16 September 2013, 22:20