We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Topic
Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

According to the Nation newspaper Wat Arun will be closing from Tuesday for renovation. It seems you will still be able to enter the compound but there will be scaffolding on the stupa and no climbing of course.

nationmultimedia.com/national/Wat-Arun-stupa…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

Thanks for the link.... was planning on going there in December but might have to cross it off the list. Cheers

Edited: 20 September 2013, 01:51
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

aaaaaaaaah, thank you! I chose my Bangkok accommodation specifically for the view of Wat Arun. Might rethink that decision. Thanks for posting! :)

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

Thanks for letting us know, was going to go there Sunday week (29th) but won't now. Never mind. There are lots of other places to see and go to.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

I would double check that it is actually closed before changing plans though, after all Saphan Taksin has been closing for about a year now!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

The article in the Nation about Wat Arun closure:

nationmultimedia.com/national/Wat-Arun-stupa…

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,001 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

Work is already taking place on the Chedi. It appears like they are now going to get serious.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

closed but not closed

…yahoo.com/thailands-temple-dawn-4-mn-makeov…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

So is the whole compound closed? Or only the main stupa is off limits? Planning to visit with my parents next January and it would be disappointing if we're unable to do so. I was there once in 2009 and would love to revisit again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

That is a shame I was planning on taking my daughter and her friend there when they come over in November...................Oh well I expect there will be a tuk tuk there to take us to a gem shop or something!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
221 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wat Arun closing from Tuesday

Question? Is it still lite up at night? Does scaffolding obscure the outline of the Chedi? Is it worth still having a look at night from across the River?