We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Train

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Sky Train

Hello.

Just a quick question re the sky train in Bangkok. Does it get very crowded? I don't cope very well on the Tube in London when I've been and its rush hour and everyone's squished together. Bit claustrophobic - already got to cope with being in a large hotel and having to go in the lift. I usually walk but don't think I'll manage 40 odd flights of stairs lol

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Train

Hi,

Yes, it can get very crowded during the rush hour, especially at Siam station where you may have to wait for a train or two before being able to board.

Birmingham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Train

Ok thank you. I'll have to try and avoid the rush hour then or get some hypnotism or something before I go!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Train

Yeah it can be crowded at times. I try to slink over to where I have a wall or bulkhead behind me. Watch for pickpockets, just like back home! There used to be warning photos of women wearing backpacks on their front side vs on their backs to watch out for someone looking through their stuff.

I like the Skytrain and I have been on it full and mostly empty. When you get on closer to either end you have a quicker chance to find a seat. Beats walking in the heat!

Have fun.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Train

Ahousemouse

As stated it does get very crowded particularly in the rush hour but I have never known it as bad as the London tube even at its worst. The advantages the Sky Train has is that it is more open big windows not in a tunnel clean and air conditioned which makes it a whole lot less claustrophobic that the dirty smelly hot dingy London underground

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Train

A week in January 2013, travelling on the Sukhumvit line everyday, never once got a seat. They need to at least double the capacity to meet demand

On the other line, always got a seat

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Train

Yes, it most certainly can be very crowded at times, but the carriages are spotlessly clean and well air conditioned so you won't feel like you're stuck in a stuffy, hot and smelly box. During peak hour ir's a very much better way to get around than in a taxi as the traffic jams can be quite horrible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Train

I'm yet to catch a skytrain that has not been crowded.

It's very doable though.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 09:48
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky Train

I with Marley. A few years ago no problem but since line extensions I find it is nearly always crowded.

9. Re: Sky Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:19