We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Respect!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Respect!

Hmmm, I would like to suggest that people take into account that we are in a country that does not typically speak English.

On reading a recent review , a poster complained that the waitress did not listen properly, LISTEN, they said. Maybe the staff did not understand this person's English, this person's meal came out as a chicken burger, instead of beef, with the ongoing complaint about how long it took to cook another.

I know it is frustrating but lighten up , relax and enjoy, if your really fussy show the meal on the menu, maybe that will help.

Thanks rant over for today.

Maz.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Respect!

Hi Marilyn,

It's refreshing to hear your "meaningful" ranting.

Sometimes, I'm puzzle why some tourists would want to sour up their vacation by being easily impatient & intolerant over minor issues they come across during their travels. Having a deeper understanding of the Thais and their cultures would certainly help to ease these. As a matter of fact, being an Asian tourist myself, I sometimes find it hard to get my message across to the Thais, let alone from a Westerner. This is even after I've some basic knowledge of conversational Thai.

I hope more tourists would take heed of your advice.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 08:38
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Respect!

I always consider that as I am in Thailand and although I can speak a bit of Thai it is MY resposibility when I am ordering something to make sure that the person I am ordering from understands what I want and therefore if I end up with something else it is MY fault for not being clear.

It would be interesting to know what would happen to a Thai tourist in an English speaking country, would the english speaking waiter make anywhere near the effort that most Thais do to understand the customer......I think not.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Respect!

These idiot tourists make it embarrassing for the rest of us. They are the reason I try to avoid tourist areas as much as possible.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Respect!

For some tourists if the waitress doesn't understand just speak LOUDER! You actually see this in some restaurants!

I like my meat cooked well done. That's me! I have no problem getting meat cooked the way I want even in new restaurants where not too many tourists visit. Some cooks are afraid to cook something "too much" well done and then the customer refuses to pay. I don't have that problem I just tell them to burn it and my food comes out okay. (Never had any cook actually burn anything.)

I don't know how a customer can order beef and get chicken without ordering it that way! It doesn't hurt to verify with the waitress that you are getting beef or chicken! Yelling and screaming at a waitress in a restaurant where you will consume food they prepare is not a good idea in any country! Who knows what will end up in your food if you act like a S.O.B. with the help.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Respect!

Oh so well said everyone! I wrote a hotel review a while ago and this was one of my points. Probably didnt go down well with people reading the review but I was so so tired of reading "the staff were useless, they dont speak english" etc etc.

Why do people travel and expect everything to be the same as at home? Isnt that why most of us travel...to experience other cultures, to learn from others?

I could go on but will get off my soap box, well brought up Maz

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Respect!

Great thread and I agree 100%. YOU as the tourist are responsible for conforming NOT the Thai people!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Respect!

Hi

sometimes the language confusion makes for interesting storys One time I was up country in a small town

walking around I saw a cafe stand so stopped for an ice Cafe the young girl came out and I asked for an Ice cafe she said " go away" I said yes "to go" she looked puzzled so she went and got her mother who came out with a broom and said "Go away closed " I knew immediatley what she meant LOL.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Respect!

One of the frequent criticisms on reviews of top end resorts in Khao Lak after the 2004 Tsunami was the lack of English by staff, with comments like "we paid for a 5* resort and expected 5* staff". Such comments were both insensitive and ignorant of the fact that over 80% of the English speakers in the service sector lost their lives in less than an hour on that horrendous day 9 years ago. It will take a generation at least for children to become educated, trained and skilled to meet that deficit. But as all of us who know and love Thailand know is that a smile is the best way to resolve communication issues. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Respect!

Seen it too often. Usually at 7-11 and usually involving sims/top-ups. I really have to give a big up to the girls for keeping cool. I would've told the loud obnoxious farang to leave and don't come back.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Respect!

Thanks everyone, it has happened to me , something other than what I had ordered,was received. Quite delicious it was too!

Even if you really can't accept whats being offered, don't blame or make fuss, quietly explain that there has been a mistake.

You will easily get what you really wanted!

Maz.