We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Customs and Visa

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Customs and Visa

Hi, I am travelling to Bangkok with a friend for 4 nights in October and I want to make sure I have everything covered for when we go.

I have read somewhere that you need to have a certain amount of money with you to be able to enter the country? Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, with regards to the visa, is it a matter of filling in a form at the airport to gain entry. We are both travelling on Irish passports.

All help is gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks...

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

You will get a visa waiver and stamp on arrival. No visa is necessary for a stay of 30 days with your passport. You need an return air ticket, but I have never been asked to show one. I am not sure how much money you will need to carry, but if there is a requirement it should be on the Thai embassy's website.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,202 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

Hi,

Visa exempt forms are usually given out on incoming flights some time before arrival. As an Irish national you will be entitled to 30 days. While there is a requirement to have sufficient funds for your stay in Thailand (equivalent to 10,000 - baht) this is hardly ever asked for on arrival.

planet earth
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

#1 the return ticket thing is just a US based airline scam, never had one or never been asked for one in over a dozen trips to Thailand.

A 30 day stamp given when arriving by air, but only 15 by land.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

**#1 the return ticket thing is just a US based airline scam, never had one or never been asked for one in over a dozen trips to Thailand.**

^^

+1

I have never been asked how much money I have available, where I am staying, if I have a return ticket, etc. Once you get in front of a customs officer, he/she will take your picture and check/stamp your passport. and add the visa. Takes less than 3 min if your passport is in order

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,202 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

Hi,

You do not necessarily need a return ticket but should at least have proof of onward travel:

www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx…

Again, this is rarely asked for.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

Thank you all for your great help...very much appreciated!!!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

Hi

I have seen first hand a person refused boarding because of not haveing an onward ticket.in Seattle

flying on NorthWest Airline. he was forced to buy a ticket to prove he was leaving Thailand within 30 days.

to be able to board the flight.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

I have a return ticket booked and a hotel booked so all angles covered

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

Requirement for proof of onward travel is not a "US-based airline scam." There is an official requirement if you get a visa exemption. It does show up in the Timatic database that airlines use to make sure your documents are in order, and airlines can choose to enforce it or ignore it. Many choose to enforce it and not just in the US. I have had to convince a sceptical check-in agent (not in the US) that February had 28 days and my return flight was indeed within the 30-day timeframe. I understand Australian carriers are particularly vigilant.

By contrast, Thai Immigration officers rarely if ever check for proof of onward travel. And unless you look especially disreputable, they don't check to see if you have the required 10,000 baht either. But they have the perogative of checking for both if they want and refusing you entry without explanation.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Customs and Visa

^^ Exactly. If you look respectable and reasonably prosperous, you will not be questioned. All farang are rich except backpackers, so don't look like one and you will have no difficulty.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 16:32