We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unbelievable Scammers

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
571 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Unbelievable Scammers

While exiting MBK today at ground floor ,a young Thai girl stall holder got me into a short conversation about a sale at a discount Thai warehouse . She knew I was from England with wearing an England football shirt and said her father spent time in Liverpool . She asked if my hotel had not told me about this sale to which I replied `no` and asked which hotel I was staying and just replied ` Riverside ` and at this point the conversation ended. As we were walking the stairs to the Skytrain a well dressed Thai man who spoke good english said ` hello , nice to see you again ` . I looked at him confused saying ` do I know you ? ` to which he replied ` I am the deputy manager at you hotel The Riverside ` ( we stayed at Centre Point Silom ) to which I said ` no , I don't stay there ` and carried on walking. After a minute or so I clicked in and realised he was probably in with the young Thai girl and followed us out of MBK to get us to this Supposed Thai promotion one day only sale. They are clever but not that smart.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

LOL. Nice to see they are still trotting out variations on the old theme!

Heaven help us if they ever actually come up with a half way believable one!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

You would want to be in a trance to fall for that :-))

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

This is one demonstration of why it's not good to toss out too much information.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

I like when the scammers get caught out:-)

Saigon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

Luckily that you weren't scammed. I am so afraid for my next coming trip while I read many scams in Thailand :(

BTW, could you please let me know how is the centre point silom, I am going to book this hotel in Dec.

Thank you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

Sue L,

Don't be afraid; just say no thank you to anyone that approaches you with a too good to be true offer. In Thai you say "mai ow kar", (that is how it sounds), and it means "I do not want thanks", so no one will be offended if you say that simple phrase. Enjoy your holiday in wonderful Thailand.

Alan

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

Sue L

Centre Point Silom is a lovely clean hotel , river view rooms are amazing .

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

Why be afraid? Just use common sense....it's not that hard!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

Sue L, no need to be scared just keep your brain on turned on. Lots of people let there brain go into sleep mode when on holidays.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unbelievable Scammers

oh lordy!

cant blame them for trying! I wonder how many people fall for it :)