We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Siam in Dusit...location?

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
The Siam in Dusit...location?

We are in Bangkok for the first time for one day and one night (flying in at 9:30 am). We are dying to stay at The Siam, but from reviews I'm reading, many say it's not for 1st time visitors and not for short trips. The reason being the remote location in Dusit.

Our intent is to drop off our bags, sight see for most of the day, and return to the hotel to change for dinner/night out.

Can someone please shed some light on the location? What must-sees are close to that area and which ones would be too difficult to get to? Is it hard to arrange for private transportation to get us back to the hotel in the evening? (apparently the hotel's private water shuttle stops running by 8pm).

So the bottom line, is it worth it or not? Will we kill too much of our time commuting? Please advise.

Also, we are flying into and out of DMK, if that makes a difference.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

It is not the greatest location for transport links but you should have no trouble getting taxis to and from. I would say in all honesty that for a first time visit I would pick a hotel with closer transport links.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

Way to isolated for a first visit with you short time in Bangkok.

You need to be near a BTS Skytrain station for your 1st visit IMO.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

If its the temples and historical cultural sights your wanting to see in your one day in Bangkok I would say your hotel is in the perfect location. For me this part of Bangkok amidst the temples, wats and old part of the city you will get a much better feel for the city than the artificial,skyscraper tourist hell hole of Sukhumvit/Siam

Your in the best location right by the river, the day time river transport is excellent. Late on after 8pm if your craving for night life there will be no shortage of Bangkok taxis to take you too and from Silom/Sukhumvit/Siam which should be no more than a 80B taxi ride away

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

Have you looked at the Riva Surya?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

Shangria La hotel is the place for you. Riverside but close to a BTS station and Express Boat.

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

Thank you. We are also looking at the Sukhothai Hotel. So many great hotels, hard to choose from. Although the Siam has my heart!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

I stayed in the Sukhothai last year. Really top hotel, you wont regret staying there.

Its about a 10/12 minute walk to Skytrain station.

The Banyan Tree is just up the road so easy to visit Vertigo rooftop bar.

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

Thank you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,511 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

From the Siam, you can walk out to Samsen Road and catch a #16 or #505 bus to "downtown". The #16 bus drops you off in front of Siam Center, while the #505 lets you out across from Centralworld.

There are many buses that will take you to the Grand Palace area: http://goo.gl/maps/kODb6

It's also about a 15 minute walk to on e of my favorite eateries, Krua Apsorn.

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Siam in Dusit...location?

i think for our first night we will stay at the Hansar, since we get in late (6pm) and fly out early next morning (this will allow us close access to nightlife). And we will try the Siam when we return for a full day/night, since it sounds like it is well positioned to cultural sights and temples, and we don't care much for shopping/malls. hopefully this will work out :)