We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short skirt + dark tights?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
short skirt + dark tights?

I've been reading about proper dress and etiquette, and want to know if short (above the knee) skirts are ok if you wear dark tights with them? I do this all the time at home, since it's less exposed leg flesh, but wanted to get a local opinion.

This would be on non-wat days.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 02:27
perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Hi

If is non wat day then you should be ok without tights or leggings. It is very hot in Thailand you wouldn't want to go with that.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Wearing tights would be unbearable for you. You see lots of tourists walking around Bangkok in shorts and skirts, it's only if you go into a Wat or go to the Grand Palace you need to cover up - forget the tights!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Agree with the above, you can just walk freely with shorts or short skirts in Bangkok as it's very hot. I was there in August and was basically with short skirts due to the weather and it was just fine. But as others have mentioned, be sure to wear appropriate clothing when visiting Grand palace or the temples..

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Just know that Thais consider dress to be a key form of communication. Lager louts in shorts, singlets, and flip flops might be comfortable in their own eyes, but might not always get responses from merchants, restaurants, etc. that they might like. (This is just an example of what does not work. We can see by your post that you're sensitive to the possibilities - and want to be comfortable without getting the wrong reception.)

Short skirts are common, but you may quickly see by whom, and when, for what styles... - in short, it's a complex set of stereotypical situations. For example:

- Some locals will wear short dresses or skirts when out on the town at night. Usually, but not always, in groups and using certain ranges of styles.

- Some who wear short skirts (especially ones which are not "dressy" in local context) can be found - but may also be soliciting clients. These days, this may include foreigners - so you might want to ensure that your dress style won't cause confustion.

I guess it's a matter, potentially, of "comfort" vs. "social signals".

Personally, I am comfortable in full length trousers, and fashionable casual above the waist - no synthetics permitted above the waist because of their uncomfortable heat factor in SE Asian heat and humidity. I have done this as a resident, for years, in order to get more positive responses wherever I may go. For me, shorts stay in the house, or perhaps to the next-door 7-eleven. For my wife - ditto for short skirts.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

One can wear just about anything in Bangkok; it's more how you wear what you wear.

Some people will look nice in certain attire, while others will look like a slob.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Only grand palace you need to cover up. Other wats are ok for shorts (conservative).

Other than that you are ok with most attire.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

if your skirt is just above the knee you'll probably be fine (even at Wats) and you can forget the tights - it's just too hot..... but short skirts (belt length) and dark tights is just an awful look at any time in any place.

Just get yourself a pair of baggy cotton pants at one of the markets for 200 baht (less than $6) and wear those - much more comfortable and you won't offend anyone. T'shirts with sleeves are fine, so are sleeveless t'shirts/strapppy tops if you take a light shawl to cover your shoulders/upper arms when entering a wat. (but not acceptable at the Palace)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

Leave the tights at home, you won't survive it as long as you don't stay all day in ac room.

Currently thai ladies are wearing rather short pants instead of a skirt.

9. Re: short skirt + dark tights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:19