We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
77 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me choose...

Hey,

I'm due to go to Thailand on 4th November with my b/f and it's our first time visiting Thailand. We're spending our time between Bangkok and Chiang Mai (possibly Chiang Rai as well) I've got all my accommodation for CM sorted, but I'm really overwhelmed with Bangkok to be honest.

I've bought the Nancy Chandler's Bangkok information and I've spent months (literally months!!) looking at things online.

I really need some help!!! We're not in Bangkok for long, 5th-7th (2 nights) and then another night on 20th Nov before we fly home.

About us; we are 25 and 30 and we are NOT looking to visit the Koh San Road/drink ourselves stupid etc. It's definitely not our scene. Ideally looking for somewhere clean, comfortable with plenty to see/do in the local area as we plan on just wandering about exploring, good food nearby would be a bonus. Looking at maximum £75 per night budget.

This may sound odd but we're not in a mad rush to "try and see all the sights of Bangkok in 3 days" as we are planning on travelling next year and stopping in at Bangkok for a longer stay (month at least) We've never been this far out East before so we'll be trying to adjust to the chaos and get over our tiredness from the flight.

I've had a look at the Centre Point Silom near the Riverside but I've also seen Shanghai Mansions in Chinatown area.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Amanda

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
240 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose...

Don't worry about rushing around to fit everything in - to be honest, bangkok doesn't have an awful lot to see anyway!

Once you've done Grand Palace and Wat Po, maybe Wat Arun - that's it. You can do that in 1 day. Shops and malls and markets are the same everywhere.

Despite Sukhumvit having some of the more 'dubious parts', I always suggest finding a hotel in this area. It's got plenty to do, and is on the MRT line so you can move around easy. Just use any of the hotel websites and pick something to suit your budget.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose...

Have a look at www.chatrium.com ,you ll find better offers for it at www.agoda.com

Edited: 13 October 2013, 14:15
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me choose...

I would suggest looking at either Riverside or Sukhumvit areas, the important thing to consider when choosing your hotel is proximity to transport links (either BTS or MRT stations) as getting around on the roads can be a very slow affair.

I am afraid I cannot agree with PhuketBigdaddy when he says

'Once you've done Grand Palace and Wat Po, maybe Wat Arun - that's it.'

I have been visiting Bangkok for many years now and still manage to find new and interesting corners to explore in fact a quick bit of research in the FAQs will give you many ideas (and that list is by no means exhaustive)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c125983/Bangk…

Edited: 13 October 2013, 14:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me choose...

Agree with LondonChris's advice completely.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me choose...

whatever else you do, stay at the same hotel on both stays, then you can leave any luggage that you wish rather than carting it around the country with you. also, definitely try and stay near a skytrain station.

You have lots of choice. Having tried lots of different areas of bangkok, we enjoy staying near, but not in, sukhumvit, and now regularly stay at cape house hotel- it is a wonderful hotel and about a 5 minute walk to chit lom station. We have found the best rates for this hotel on quickrooms.com (I think now called expressrooms.com) . lots of great food nearby- be sure and try the Food Loft inside central dept store at chitlom station.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me choose...

You should stick with your original plans amanda m, Riverside is the best location for Bangkok and #2 take a look at Chatrium

Some good restaurants and Asiatique by the river so unless you have a craving for nightclubs, and nightlife stick with your original choice

London, UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me choose...

Hi,

I would say the Riverside is the best area to stay in Bangkok for a first timer. Stay close to the BTS Skytrain Station for easy access to the sites and shopping malls (MBK and Siam Paragon etc).

The Chatrium Hotel is excellent and offers great river views from the high floor rooms. I stayed at the Chatrium earlier this year (see my TA review of this hotel). I visited the Central Point Silom also and it looked pretty good as well although in a much busier location. Check Agoda, Booking.com (and other sites). There are usually offers on these hotels.

Enjoy your 1st Thailand trip !

Keith

8. Re: Please help me choose...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18