We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Hello, hoping you can help review my itinerary for my Husband's and my first trip to Bangkok this Dec./ Jan. We are open to any suggestions on activities, but our flights and hotels are already booked, and can't be changed at this point. We haven't booked any tours yet. Thanks in advance for your help! I have a few questions embedded in my post below.

Arrive Bangkok Sunday Dec. 29th (~7 am)

-Take Taxi to hotel (near Asok BTS station on Sukhumvit), drop bags, and see what time we can check in

-find money exchange, wander around Terminal 21 mall (food court at mall for lunch), schedule massage for late afternoon somewhere closeby (Ananda Spa has good reviews)

-Find dinner somewhere closeby (any suggestions w/ vegetarian options?)

Monday Dec. 30

-wake up early and head to Grand Palace via BTS and then river boat taxi (what time should we get to Grand Palace?), then Wat Pho, and then Wat Arun (if it is still worth it to go see since part of it will be closed?). Any alternative suggestions to Wat Arun? Is it far to go see the Golden Mount (Wat Saket) from Wat Pho?

-Afternoon maybe a tiny bit of shopping if we feel up to it. Any suggestions for which mall and what stores to look in? Looking for business casual or smart casual clothes for myself (a petite, young 30s woman). I have trouble finding clothes in the U.S. that will fit me (petites and XS sizes), so am hoping that I might have some better luck in a few stores that are unique to Asia.

Tuesday Dec. 31st (New Years Eve)

- Take half day tour to see Railway Market and Damnoen Saduak floating market in morning (still need to book)

- Evening - still not sure what to do for New Years Eve, but really want to see fireworks (thinking about either rooftop hotel party and dinner somewhere separate from hotel and not as expensive- any suggestions w/ vegetarian options?) or braving the crowds and going to Central World for countdown and fireworks. If we go to Central World, what time do we need to get there to stake out a spot? Will the BTS run later after midnight on NYE?

Should we do the floating market tour on the 31st or switch days and do it the 30th and go to Grand Palace, etc. on the 31st in the morning?

Jan. 1st leave for Chiang Mai from DMK airport at 12:40 (what time should we leave our hotel to get to airport?)

-Chiang Mai for 4 nights then Khao Lak for 6 nights

-Back to Bangkok on Jan. 11 arrive in afternoon go to hotel (Anantara Riverside Bangkok)

Evening (Jan. 11), do either river cruise (Manohra which leaves from hotel) or go to Asiatique (can someone describe what Asiatique is in more detail? Is it more like an indoor mall or an outdoor market?)

Jan. 12 (Sunday)

- Perhaps go to Chatuchak Market in morning if we want to do more souvenir shopping

- Hang out at hotel for rest of day, go to pool, maybe spa at hotel, eat dinner at hotel

- Flight to U.S. leaves at 2:30 am on Jan. 13. What time should we leave our hotel to give us enough time to get to airport, go through security, check in, etc..

Thanks again!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

-Make sure that you get some Baht from the ATM at the airport when you arrive. I usually take out 3000 baht as I am already getting charged the fee(I also have smaller bills with me for the taxi fare.) That will be enough for the taxi into the city.

-Day 1..after you get to your hotel...if you can't check in yet, grab your camera and do exactly what you planned. Walk around and explore. Terminal 21 is a great place to eat and it is also a great photo op as each floor is based/themed on a city around the world!

-I might not do the floating market tour on NYE. I did it a few years ago and got back to my hotel at 6-7pm and was beat(they picked me up at 6am.) I mean, I did hang out the night before. Just something to consider considering that it is NYE...

-I would def try to hit up JJ Market(Chatuchak) the Sunday that you return back to Bk if only for the experience!

Just a few thoughts...

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Oh my Orchid, better bring an empty suitcase then. Most clothes are small here, you will have a field day. For value for $ and variety MBK did it for me. Wow you could spend a long time there, there are floors with aisles and aisles of little stores. Happy pants (the ones with elephant etc prints) are about 199bht. That's about $2.

There are money changing places everywhere. You don't have to walk far to come across those. That's all I actually used. I took my ATM card but didn't use it, except to buy a "North Face" thick ski jacket for $90 in MBK.

we went to Terminal 21 for a look. It is interesting but pricey. OH said the washroom was great so I went in for a play too (Japenese sort on Japan floor at least, with all the buttons, bells and whistles you could imagine). But we went to MBK for actual buying. Remember also that you might not be able to try on things to see if they fit. Take a tape measure and measure your existing clothes at home and record that and bring that tape measure with you. Then you will know whether what you are buying will fit. You have Bangkok far better organised than we did so you will I am sure, get some great responses. I have yet to write my JBR for Bangkok...yes it will probably be long winded too. Good luck.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Be aware that most restaurants/street stalls can do vegetarian options for you, things like fried rice, coconut soup, Phad Thai, green curry etc can all be made just with vegetables. If you are really strict then you will have to avoid curries as they usually have shrimp paste in the mix, I tend to be a bit flexible when overseas. May Kaidees has delicious vegetarian food.

www.maykaidee.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Thanks, I will think about switching the temples to Day 3 (NYE day) and the floating market to Day 2.

Haha, I am worried about finding too much to buy, but my luggage limits (and my DH getting impatient) will probably prevent me from a full out shopping spree.

Thanks Cassnu, I usually try to avoid fish sauce, etc., (we eat Thai all the time at home and I usually just order without the fish sauce, etc and they substitute or leave it out) but I realize it may be a lot more difficult overseas with the language barrier, etc.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

If you ask for "may ow nam pla", this means no fish sauce. If you want something with vegetables for example fried rice, you ask for "Cow pat pak", pak is the word for vegetables so we just ask for everything with vegetables, we also say "gin jay melagor" which conveys that we are vegetarian, although I think it means more like vegan but we tell them egg ok - seems to work for us anyway.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Thank you Cassnu! We printed a card that says "no shellfish", how would you "say" that ?

Also seeing that curry has shrimp paste, I wonder if we need a more specific question? i.e.: no shellfish in preparation, combinations, sauces, etc.

It's important to get this right with shellfish allergies!

Thanks for all help!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Thanks, any other suggestions on our draft itinerary are welcome!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Ask Sweetpea, the DE for Samui, she's Thai snd can give you proper translation .

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

Do you think we should add in the Siam Niramit show on Day 2 in the evening (Dec. 30)? My only hesitation is that we only have 4 real nights in Bangkok (including NYE), and also not sure if we'll be adjusted to time change by then.

Also on our last full night (Jan. 11) would you recommend the dinner cruise or going to Asiatique? Thanks!

10. Re: Please review my itinerary for Bangkok for Dec. 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 16:40