Hello, hoping you can help review my itinerary for my Husband's and my first trip to Bangkok this Dec./ Jan. We are open to any suggestions on activities, but our flights and hotels are already booked, and can't be changed at this point. We haven't booked any tours yet. Thanks in advance for your help! I have a few questions embedded in my post below.
Arrive Bangkok Sunday Dec. 29th (~7 am)
-Take Taxi to hotel (near Asok BTS station on Sukhumvit), drop bags, and see what time we can check in
-find money exchange, wander around Terminal 21 mall (food court at mall for lunch), schedule massage for late afternoon somewhere closeby (Ananda Spa has good reviews)
-Find dinner somewhere closeby (any suggestions w/ vegetarian options?)
Monday Dec. 30
-wake up early and head to Grand Palace via BTS and then river boat taxi (what time should we get to Grand Palace?), then Wat Pho, and then Wat Arun (if it is still worth it to go see since part of it will be closed?). Any alternative suggestions to Wat Arun? Is it far to go see the Golden Mount (Wat Saket) from Wat Pho?
-Afternoon maybe a tiny bit of shopping if we feel up to it. Any suggestions for which mall and what stores to look in? Looking for business casual or smart casual clothes for myself (a petite, young 30s woman). I have trouble finding clothes in the U.S. that will fit me (petites and XS sizes), so am hoping that I might have some better luck in a few stores that are unique to Asia.
Tuesday Dec. 31st (New Years Eve)
- Take half day tour to see Railway Market and Damnoen Saduak floating market in morning (still need to book)
- Evening - still not sure what to do for New Years Eve, but really want to see fireworks (thinking about either rooftop hotel party and dinner somewhere separate from hotel and not as expensive- any suggestions w/ vegetarian options?) or braving the crowds and going to Central World for countdown and fireworks. If we go to Central World, what time do we need to get there to stake out a spot? Will the BTS run later after midnight on NYE?
Should we do the floating market tour on the 31st or switch days and do it the 30th and go to Grand Palace, etc. on the 31st in the morning?
Jan. 1st leave for Chiang Mai from DMK airport at 12:40 (what time should we leave our hotel to get to airport?)
-Chiang Mai for 4 nights then Khao Lak for 6 nights
-Back to Bangkok on Jan. 11 arrive in afternoon go to hotel (Anantara Riverside Bangkok)
Evening (Jan. 11), do either river cruise (Manohra which leaves from hotel) or go to Asiatique (can someone describe what Asiatique is in more detail? Is it more like an indoor mall or an outdoor market?)
Jan. 12 (Sunday)
- Perhaps go to Chatuchak Market in morning if we want to do more souvenir shopping
- Hang out at hotel for rest of day, go to pool, maybe spa at hotel, eat dinner at hotel
- Flight to U.S. leaves at 2:30 am on Jan. 13. What time should we leave our hotel to give us enough time to get to airport, go through security, check in, etc..