We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

uk rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

I made this journey on 24 Oct. I booked an overnight sleeper ticket 2nd class air-con for the 2000 departure from BKK 36 hours prior to departure at Hua Lamphong Station. Cost 768 baht.

Train left on time - train staff made up the berth (lower one if you are not too agile) - request this when booking. Restaurant car available - snacks and drinks (including beer). A lady comes through the train to take orders for breakfast (if you so wish). It can be delivered to your berth. Train arrived Nong Khai approx. 30 minutes late (no problem). You can then transfer to a shuttle train (17baht !!) for the short journey across the Friendship Bridge to Laos and immigration. Cost 1500baht (UK passport holder). Queue up with a completed form (supplied at the station) - they take your form and passport - you move to the next window and you get your PP back duly stamped. When I went through there were no tuk-tuks or buses around. Only a couple of mini-vans. Two of us were charged 300baht each to Vientiane Centre.

Hope this might be of interest. If all goes according to plan it is a painless, and enjoyable, experience.

California, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

hello sanmigukrural - can you share how you booked the train ticket in advance for BKK to Nongkhai? I cannot seem to find that option. My travel date is mid Dec. Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

I will be the reverse way next May

from Vientiane to Nhong Kai to

Bangkok so this is good info

Thanks for putting it up

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Hi Pc_Calif

I did the trip from Vientiane, Nong Khai, Bangkok in June. Researched on this website

http://www.seat61.com

Booked the tickets online through Royal Exclusive Travel. The process was easy and the train tickets were waiting for us at our hotel in Bangkok at the beginning of our trip.

Enjoy the train journey.

Cheers

California, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Thanks Gale. I got a reply back from Royal Exclusive Travel that they can deliver the ticket to my hotel for a fee of 350 baht. I may go with this option. I am also thinking about flying from DMK to Nongkhai then across the bridge for Laos visa. This means I'll be in VTE by Friday night VS Saturday (by train) but also mean it'll cost me more. I still have few weeks to decide.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Hi Pc_Calif

I chose the train journey over flying for the experience. I didn't have a great nights sleep with the noise and rocking & rolling of the train but enjoyed the trip nonetheless. I'd recommend it for the experience if you have the time. The restaurant car was a fun social vibe and the evening meal was pretty good much to my surprise.

Happy travels

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Last Lao trip i got to VIENTIANE bus

station from Van Vieng and after I got

off Lao bus some one pointed me to

an International bus which left across

other side of bus station

It left and proceeded via Lao /Thai

immigration & Freindship Bridge to

Nhong Kai bus station -a seamless

transfer---tuk tuk to Muk Mee hotel

completed easy situ

uk rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Pc_Calif. I turned up at the station , told the guy at the desk what I wanted and, very efficiently, he issued my ticket there and then for a journey a couple of days hence. Took about two minutes ! If you are in Bangkok for any period of time prior to your intended journey to Vientiane I'm sure you would be able to get a ticket then even if you are there for only, say, 24 hours prior to your intended journey. That is my view - I'm sure DE's will correct me if I am wrong.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

Several times I've gotten next-day or same-day sleeper tickets to Nong Khai. It's no big deal.

9. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane by overnight train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16