We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy bulk spices outside of Chatuchak Weekend Market

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
anchorage alaska
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy bulk spices outside of Chatuchak Weekend Market

I've love to bring home some star of Anise and dried Kaffir lime leaves and curries since I imagine them much cheaper than here in the US. Can anyone recommend a good place to get some? We miss the Chatuchak market in our travels :(

Also does anyone know if those items might get me in trouble with border control! I've looked on their website but can't find those thing specifically.

Thanks!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy bulk spices outside of Chatuchak Weekend Market

I would look in a supermarket, Tesco or Big C. If you can find a Makro they have a large section of bulk herbs and spices. Not sure if they have dried kaffir lime though, I have only ever used fresh here.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 00:04
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy bulk spices outside of Chatuchak Weekend Market

The information on https:/… regarding fruit and vegetables looks quite clear: if a plant is not listed in the APHIS's FAVIR database, import is forbidden. Searching for anise or kaffir lime (aka Citrus hystrix) provides no results, except for anise from Mexico. I.e. it looks like you are out of luck at least for these two.

If you can find something that you may import into the US, the taxi ride from Chong Nonsi BTS station to Makro Narathiwat should be less than 60 bahts.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 01:36
3. Re: Where to buy bulk spices outside of Chatuchak Weekend Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:17