We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time between flights ?

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Enough time between flights ?

Hi,

I am just about to book some flights with air Asia and would like to know if I am leaving sufficient time between flights.

We leave Chiangmai at 12.05 and arrive in Bangkok at 13.20, then I am thinking of booking a flight to Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam ) that leaves Bangkok at 15.20.

Can anyone tell me if this will be ok, or too much of a rush

Cheers

Cazza5

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,080 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time between flights ?

Air Asia flies into Don Muang Airport, if your next onward flight also leaves from DMK airport then 2 hours should be ok, personally I would want a little more time to allow for any delays.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time between flights ?

HI Cazza,

The rule of thumb for time gap between incoming & outgoing flights is :

1) Flights connection at the same airport - 3 hours

2) Flights connection not at same BKK airport - 4 hours.

You need to allow a slight delay for the incoming flight, but not an extended one. Your intended schedules seem too tight for any comfort.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 02:24
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time between flights ?

This is potentially very, very tight. If you have checked bags you will have to claim your bags and then recheck them.You need to allow 30 minutes from the scheduled arrival to get your bags in my opinion. Then you need to allow time to go from arrivals to departures. Probably not long, but still some time. I do not know the minimum check in time for an Air Asia international flight, but it is at least 45 minutes if you have bags. Air Asia enforces the check in and baggage drop times times. While the odds are in favor of the flight being on time, I think you have less than 1 hour, really more like 45 minutes, built in to your plan to allow for a possible flight dalay. Air Asia will not help you if you miss your flight.

If you do not have checked bags and do web check in, the times become more tolerable, but they are still tight.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time between flights ?

Check with Air Asia as this can be a flythru which means that your luggage with get transferred from the one flight to the other without you having to collect it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time between flights ?

It depends if your onward flight to HCMC is also with Air Asia if it is then it should be enough as your bags will be checked through and you'll be leaving from the same airport.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time between flights ?

I think fly-thru is only available at Kuala Lumpar. On their websire, they specify that bags must be collected after each leg if not a fly-thru connection, and according to their website the only place for fly-thru is KL.

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time between flights ?

Thanks for your replies, both flights are with air Asia , but after reading your answers I think I will go for the 17.20 flight to Ho Chi Minh

Cheers

Cazza5

8. Re: Enough time between flights ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18