We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer in Bangkok?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteer in Bangkok?

My names Patrik, I'm 25 and from Sweden. I have been staying in Bangkok for 6 months and I'm going to stay here another 6 months at least. My background is that I owned a law firm for 3 years in Sweden and we worked with helping injured and sick people to get compensation from their insurance companies.

I would love to get involved in any kind of charitable cause here in Bangkok, preferrably with children. I'm open to do any kinds of tasks, for example teaching the people in need in various subjects such as English. I could also benefit the organisation itself by bringing my knowledge about marketing, attracting donations and such.

Could someone please advise me on how I can get involved? Orphanages and such does not seem to be very present on the web.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,129 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

Contact The Mercy Centre in Khlong Toey:

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,915 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

Do understand that to legally perform any type of work, even unpaid volunteer work, requires a work permit.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,703 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

Owned a law firm starting at age 22 sounds pretty good! You should know that you will need a work permit to work legally.

I think it is a good idea to also do a police check on all male foreigners who prefer to work solely with little children. Don't need another Gary Glitter or John Mark Karr.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

The work permit situation should not put you off. But it might ramp up the situation a bit. The organization that you would work for should do most of the work in setting up the work permit - so your stint with them would have to be worth this effort to them..

The Ministry of Education used to have a programme seeking volunteers. Don't know if that is still on. You should be able to search for it if it is..

Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

Crikey you've been living there for six months and need to ask here where your skills might be useful?

6. Re: Volunteer in Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:20