We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam At Airport

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Scam At Airport

On the way home to Singapore frm Bangkok. Our flight is 6pm but we came to airport very early... 230 pm... The gates not ready for check in. And we saw a man holding a Singapore passport asking for help. He approached a singapore lady but she ignored him.

I went up to him and he says he needs 1000 baht ( abt sgd 40 +) he said he got wrong wallet, no money and need the cash to settle some stuff. His mom very sick on sgh. On hindsight the story damn fishy

But we cant live ourselves if the story is true. He spoke like a singaporean.

Now the gate has close, he took the money but did not take same flight with me as he claims. So i got cheated again?

Kind of sad, not for the money, but for my kids to say they knew he is a phoney.

Well he has my number i hope he proves them wrong. Thus is 2nd time i got cheated in bangkok. First time was at central world years ago.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Scam At Airport

I think that the OP has done very much the right thing to post his experience on TA in order to warn others of the probability that such a scam is operating at the airport. It must have been somewhat embarrassing to admit to having been tricked.

Of course I would have asked myself how was it that he was able to get to the airport if he had no money

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Scam At Airport

These scams happen all round the world.

I remember a few years ago, leaving work & walking to the train station in Newcastle, a Scottish guy stopped me & asked for money for his train fare back to Edinburgh, as he had lost his wallet.

I didn't give him anything & walked on. 2 weeks later, the same guy again asked me for his train fare home. Amazingly enough, he had lost his wallet again :).

When people approach you out of the blue with no reason, its amazing how often the conversation soon turns to asking for money

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Scam At Airport

On hindsight, I should have gone to the counter with him to pay, he said something like having to pay excess as he needs to change his flight with Tiger as he needs to rush home with his sick mother. He has a Singaporean accent, and as I was a Singaporean too, I just try to do whatever I can. Even at the airport, after taking the money, he went to Thai Airways, my kids told me, they believed I was being scammed as he had said he booked with Tiger Airways.

I admit I am gullible and naive to think that such scams should not happen in the airport as airports mostly have tight security... and now I know.

I can only blame myself for being gulliable, but that does not change my opinion of Thailand. It is a lovely place. The people are wonderful.

I will most definitely go there again.

I also like to share that few years ago, I visited Bangkok and came down with bacterical meningistics. Its was very sudden and severe. I was in a coma at Bumrungrad and had to be air lifted home. I was the kind friends in Thailand that helped us. My kids then 10 and 4 had to travel home alone. Perhaps it is this experience that made to feel we should help when we can as I was being helped when I needed it :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Scam At Airport

Hi Yerauk,

I do believe your version of what had happened. You are probably a kind & compassionate person who had unfortunately been taken advantage of when you, on your own volition, offered help to a distressed man. You should not change your giving nature because of this incident.

That said, you should not blame the Thais for this as the scammer was apparently a Singaporean. Singapore has its fair share of unscrupulous people as well.

What surprised me was that 95-97% of Singaporeans would not have done what you did, and would respond like the lady who was first approached by the scammer. You are one of a rare few.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 06:37
jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Scam At Airport

This is a very 'run of the mill' type scam. Very obvious imo. Even your kids knew he was phoney. If someone says they need 1000 baht, doesn't that make you ask yourself he's being demanding?? A real life person in help would be happy to recieve anything, and normally ask for your address so they can recompensate you when they have their money again. The 'my mum's ill', is just another obvious addition to the sob story.

Apologies, but people like you need to make these mistakes, you need to learn. TBH, i think you should be happy you only lost 1000 Baht, some people have been scammed their life savings. I hope by making this experience you have learned something about yourself and the ways of the world. I think you need to accept this experience as a learning experience, and not as a mistake.

Of course you did right advising others of this scam, but Bangkok has tricksters all around. Give most people the opportunity to get money from you, and they will.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 07:28
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Scam At Airport

*I admit I am gullible and naive to think that such scams should not happen in the airport as airports mostly have tight security... and now I know.*. You are!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Scam At Airport

450chris,

I don't believe that the OP is saying "Poor me I've lost 1000 baht". "Isn't this terrible?" I read it as him warning us and saying that it's a shame that we are taken advantage of when we think that we are doing someone a good turn. I think that he is also saddened that his children have to grow up being cynical and untrusting of others in order not to get ripped off.

I know that we all have to harden up in order to survive in this world today and I'm saddened that there are people out there that make this necessary, however I don't think that any of us need to feel weak or embarrassed if someone takes advantage of us when we help them out thinking that they are in need.

Why do you say the OP and people like him need to make these mistakes and need to learn? Learn what? To become hard-hearted and untrusting? Why can't there be room in the world for sensitive, kind hearted human beings? Instead of blaming the victim, how about placing the blame on the perpetrator?

Children are told these days to "toughen up because life in the outside world is hard", and I guess that is reality, however please balance this with instilling in them some compassion and care for others.

By the way, the alleged scammer has the OP's contact details.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,606 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Scam At Airport

In Shanghai, the man has lost his wallet and needs money to get home to Nanjing. It's always Nanjing.

OP this one happens the world over as do other scams. Ball and cup scams in London, tea ceremonies in China, etc, etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Scam At Airport

Hi Susan,

I absolutely share your sentiments in regard to this subject.

The world truly has changed since we were young when it was much better. For the love of money...........evil.

Kind regards

Edited: 17 November 2013, 08:40
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Scam At Airport

Hi yerauk,

As you say, "On hindsight, I should have gone to the counter with him to pay, he said something like having to pay excess as he needs to change his flight with Tiger"...

We've seen many instances of begging (as this particular scam is just that, another of many forms of begging) throughout South East Asia. We never ever give money, but have on occasion given a bottle of water or some simple food. If the person legitimately is in need, they are appreciative, if they are not, well, we don't feel so bad as at least they'll have a drink or meal.

Perhaps one of the better ways to get around these types of scams is, as you say, actually purchase the "required" product for the person, then you know the money is going where they say it is needed.

Sadly begging as a profession has become a rather lucrative business, based on the woman begger cuddling her infant child, outside one of the shopping centres in Kuala Lumpur, a pitiful sight, until she reached in to her bag to pull out her ringing iPhone! No bottle of water for her ;-)

Don't lose your good heart, just change the way you give...

Lise & Sabrina