We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

lake distriict
6 posts
Save Topic
Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Hi,

My girlfriend (we are late 20's-early 30's) and I are landing in Bangkok mid Jan (10th) for our first time, we are thinking 1-2 nights then travelling down to Samui and then going on to the full moon party on the 15th.

I have priced Bangkok airways (£380) return flights, I have had some advice to do everything over there for a much better price but to be honest would feel a bit more relaxed having some bookings in place.

Also some advice on where to stay in Bangkok, would the Sukhumvit area be best? we are looking for good restaurants, shopping and some nightlife but be able to do some sightseeing.

I would like to have a drink at the sky bar, is the area and hotel (Lebua) good?

Sorry for all the different questions, many thanks in advance.

Nick

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Does not matter where you book with Bangkok Air their web site prices never change so absolutely no benefit in waiting to get over here to book as they don't offer discount regardless especially at the time you are visiting...Yes there are cheaper ways of getting to Samui but not the quicker direct route that Bangkok Air offers..Plan on taking up a whole day each way if you do chose the budget airlines mode and then the bus and ferry boat to the island..not worth it believe me!What is your budget per night as this will have a bearing on where to stay and availability of rooms during the high season also...take a look on the right hand side at both the FAQs' and Bangkok trip ideas...then fire away if you have any questions!

Edited: 18 November 2013, 11:52
lake distriict
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Many Thanks Jed, think I will book the bangkok airways flights now and its done.

The budget for Bangkok is say £80-£100 sterling per night. Would you recommend the Lebua or a hotel in the Sukhumvit area?

Are there any other airlines you would use/check for the flight to the islands?

Cheers Jed

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Hi

Jan is PEAK seasons you wouldn't want to leave it when you get there. There are a few way to get to koh samui from Bangkok.

You can fly direct from Bangkok to koh Samui with either Bangkok airways ( 12 flights daily ) as suggested above or Thai always ( 2 flights daily). This is the quickest and the most expensive way.

Of you can fly with either air Asia or Nok airs or mainland with to pier and very across to the island. Both Nok airs and Air Asia are low cost airlines. Both offers air + land + ferry combo tickets. This route will take at least 6 hours add up.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,804 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

The later you leave Bangkok Airways the more expensive they get as the webdeal tickets are sold off!

lake distriict
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Thanks for the flight info guys.

Much appreciated

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Sometimes the first and/or last flights of the day are available at lower prices than other flights. Check all the flights for possible breaks in pricing.

The first flight of the day to Samui usually coincides with sunrise. If clouds cooperate, and you're sitting at a window on the right side - you might get a very nice view of the coastline as the sun rises.

When we did our occasional long weekends on Samui, we would take the first flight down on day 1, the last flight back on day 3. Our resort let us check out late for an additional 1000 baht (only). That arrangement got us the sunrise view on the way down - and had us snorkeling on the (albeit imperfect) house reef (yep, one exists and can be used as such at select few locations) by ~0730. On day 3 we could get in a sundown swim, clean up in our room, have a leisurely dusk-time dinner, then segue back to the airport (only 10 minutes away from that resort) for the last flight back to Bangkok. A true 2 nights and 3 days long weekend.

IMHO Bangkok Airways richly deserves its Skytrax 4-star rating. Make sure you get a jet, not a turboprop, for greater stability in the air - and enjoy a professional booking, lounge for all passengers, and onboard experience.

You can go cheaper by rail-ferry or bus-ferry. Between those two I would definitely suggest 2nd class sleepers on the train (unless you're in a honeymoon mood, in which case the privacy of a first class compartment may be for you) for reasons of comfort, vibe, and safety. Whatever you do - ensure that you get legit train or bus tickets at stations, not from fly-by-night sham operators on KhaoSan Road.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Yes only the two airlines that fly direct domestically onto the island of Samui...not cheap I know but you are paying for the convenience of basically losing a full day either way using the other option.Getting a early morning flight also is a good idea as it does maximise your stay there and even if your hotel room isn't ready you can dump your bags off and either hit the hotel pool or the beach!As for the Lebua,again have a look at the recent reviews(on here)and then make your decision.I have just looked at their prices on the booking site wotif and the room rates come in slightly above your stated budget.What I did see was Tower Club City View room available on the dates you are in town at 135 pounds a night...that is good for a room here at this time of the year and gives you access to the Lebua club room and free alcohol and food with stunning views over the city....worth paying the extra if you ask me for such an experience!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

If you want access to nightlife, great food options, and shopping relatively close by, then you want to stay in lower Sukhumvit. (Lower meaning sois up to about 16/21)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

I have stayed at Lebua tower on several occasions. It's a great hotel with easy access to the river and Sky train. They were extremely friendly and helpful . Large , clean rooms, with great views.

lake distriict
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking flights to Samui, plus Bangkok advice.

Thanks again guys, cheers

Jed for the website.