We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2016, 09:30
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

Note that the Canon warranty may not be valid in your home country.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

I have purchased camera equipment in Bangkok, including a DSLR (and lenses, filters, a tripod, a flash, etc.). Note the advice on the warranty from reply #1 (not a worry in my context), which is likely applicable to all cameras sold in Thailand (but you could check - unfortunately I am away from the paperwork, including the warranty documentation, for all my cameras at the moment so cannot check on my particular unit for you).

I have shopped at, and purchased from, several places - though I tend to gravitate to IT City (which is a computer, phone, photo and other IT vendor with outlets in Panthip Plaza, Fortune Town, Siam Paragon and elsewhere) - and to FotoFile (ground floor of MBK) for some things including a wealth of used equipment and some accessories). Here's a link to their camera page. Please note that this gets re-designed fairly frequently. Most listings are a hybrid of English and Thai - which may appear better for non Thais when ported through Google translate or something similar.

www.itcityonline.com/shop/index.php…

I found the prices roughly comparable to the better-priced outlets in other countries at the time of my purchases. But I also bought during a promotion - and if I had optimized for price alone I would have purchased via Web from B&H or Adorama in New York, or from KEH (great quality used stuff at great prices with fantastic customer service) in Georgia. (I mostly buy from KEH these days - by shopping their Website then phoning to talk with their courteous and knowledgeable sales staff). Please note that I shop fairly extensively at different stores before buying anything. Prices for such stuff tend to be fixed around Thailand. However, items in stock vary widely. If you have decided that Canon is your preferred brand - don't buy on the spot but write down the specific models available in various shops, then compare places like Bic Camera in Japan, B&H and Adorama and Amazon in the USA, etc. to see if features and prices are to your satisfaction. You might decide to buy in Bangkok. Or you might decide that your P&S (or one on promotion in Bangkok) will suffice for your trip - until you can return to Korea.

Here's a slightly old Web page discussing camera shops in Bangkok. I generally agree with the material contained therein - while noting that it is from a few years ago.

thebangkokshoppingguide.com/where_to_buy_a_c…

Hope this helps.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

I have purchased well over 100,000 baht worth of Canon equipment in Bangkok. I have had no problems with any of it.

The problem you will face is that Canon warrantees are country specific. And, in the case of the cheaper "grey market" shops, they are dealer specific. So, if you do encounter a warranty issue, you will have to send your camera back to Thailand.

Two store that sell authorized "Canon Thailand" stock are FotoFile http://www.fotofile.net/product.php?id=17601 and World Camera shop.worldcamera.co.th/product_detail.php… The World Camera price will be less, in store, paying cash.

A grey market seller, Digital2Home, blows the prices away www.digital2home.com/en/view-product.php… . They offer an "in store" warranty.

I have never heard anything bad about Digital2Home. But, I haven't bought any Canon from them either.

I buy all mine from Canon Thailand authorized vendors. Canon Thailand offers great service. And, after warranty, does repairs fro the price of parts, no labor. I live in Thailand.

4. Re: Buying a Canon DSLR camera in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18