We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Just wondering, what is a rough guide to what you would expect to pay for a drink at a typical bar or nightclub? I just want a reference point to judge whether drinks are expensive or not?

Say for a bottle of local beer, a vodka & soda, a glass of house wine?

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Wine is very expensive in Thailand, especially because of high taxes. I guess it starts around B 1200 for a really cheap bottle in a restaurant. I paid something like B 350 for a glass in a nightclub. Beer is much cheaper. B 60-80 in bars and B 90-120 in clubs. Vodka/spirits I don't know because I do not like it, but from what I saw it is about the same price as it may cost in a local bar in Australia.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Average prices are rather meaningless in Bangkok since the prices vary a lot depending on the target market of a bar.

A bar or restaurant serving primarily ordinary Thai customers might charge you 70 baht for a 33cl beer but it is more likely that they are only selling 64cl bottles for 130 baht. A tourist bar might charge 80-100 baht for the 33cl bottle. A gogo bar would charge 135-200 baht. A night club like Spasso would charge 200-300 baht. A roof top bar like Skybar at lebua would charge 600 baht for a beer.

Liquor with a mixer seems to cost 1.5 times the price of beer. On the other hand, a shot of local cheap rum (seang som or hong thong) can be cheaper than beer if you can stand it. Drinks made with imported vodkas, gins and whiskies tend to be more expensive than ones using local equivalents.

I have not kept track of the price of wine since it is way too expensive. The cheaper bars are also not storing the bottles at proper temperatures so I'm very suspicious of the quality especially if buying by the glass.

Restaurants will sell you a whole bottle of whisky/vodka/etc. and often throw in a few bottles of mixers. Buying a bottle is much cheaper than buying by glass and many bars will let you store the bottle with them for your next visit. The next time you just buy the mixers.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Before you order your drink ask what the price is! Too expensive go elsewhere! You don't ask the price and the drink shows up at your table you pay for it!

Beer bars are pretty cheap compared to go-go bars and nightclubs.

Seven Eleven type stores and supermarkets also sell alcohol.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Wine does sound pricy! What is the local drink?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

"Wine does sound pricy! What is the local drink?"

Spy?

http://www.spywinecooler.com/main.php

FYI. There is a winery near Pattaya.

pattayaconcierge.com/specified-place/…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Depends which part of Bangkok you get your beer.

Khao Sans Rd you can get a big Chang for 60B. Expect to pay more than double that in the rather bland sports bars on Sukhumvit.

I pay 30-32B for my white wine cooler, Full moon or Spy 300ml from 7/11.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

You won't want the local drink, rice spirit. Like drinking fire water....lol. I had one night drinking this and never again.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

I think I will give the local drink a miss then lol!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

OK thanks all, that gives me a rough idea. I usually drink wine with meals and spirits if out partying but I might have to try the local beer and see if I like it as it is way cheaper. Of course, drinking a bit less than I normally might is a good idea also - its never a good idea to be too drunk in a foreign country!

Why is wine so expensive? I mean, I understand it is because of taxes, but why would the thai govt tax something so much that it makes buying it inhibitive? Do thai people not normally drink wine, so therefore its a bit of a sneaky tax on foreigners and/or the wealthy?

diinaus - I take it the rice spirit is nothing like sake? I will make a mental note to give it a miss :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is an average price for alcoholic drinks?

Wine is not a traditional Thai drink so there must be an element of luxury tax.

In general Thailand applies quite high customs tariffs so imports tend to be expensive. Local Thai wine yards are a pretty recent phenomenon. Their products are cheaper than imports but the quality is not great and the prices aremstill expensive compared to decent wines bought outside Thailand.