We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Hello, we plan to do a bit of driving in BKK, the north and south of Thailand. Can someone please let us know what are your experiences of using the GPS while you drive in Thailand. There are always more than one way to spell many cities in Thailand. How complicated it is trying to enter the correct spelling of each destination you want to go.

Garmin doesn't sell Thailand map any more, they only sell South East Asia map which we don't know how details it can be. Can someone who may have used the Garmin South East Asia Map in Thailand please share your experience with us. Is it helpful and worthwhile to pay USD$100 for the map?

Thks so much.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

I bought my S-E-A Garmin chip on ebay for about 3/4 of that price. It was very useful indeed, especially in and around the capital.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Thanks Fourb2 for your reply. I am new using the GPS but when we were told that each SD micro chip map can only be used for one specific GPS. For this, we thought we can't buy a used one from someone else. The one you buy from e-bay is a used one? If so, do you have to do any special set up to be able to use it?

How long ago did you buy the SEA map form ebay? Do you happen to have that ebay site?

Thks so much

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

I have the ESRI Thailand map loaded in my Garmin NUVI. Although it has led me on some interesting 'shortcuts'. But, it has never let me down.

Here is the information for ESRI Thailand:

www.gpssociety.com/en/pages/wheretobuy.aspx

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Can't help you with the Garmin map as it's not used in Thailand as far as I know. As OctoberSix says the Garmins in Thailand come with the ESRI map which is good. I wouldn't pay $100 for the map as the basic model GPS sold in Thailand is not much more than that. You could try contacting GPS Society about getting the map from them, they do reply to English emails.

Cheap maps sold on eBay will be used or pirated, I'm not sure how well they work. Garmin have changed the security recently as now I have to plug my GPS into a PC to even download the latest map.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Amazon appear to have them for US$80, that's about $20 under Garmin's own price.

amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Southeastern-Sin…

https:/…prod89538.html

I had no issues with the chip I got early last year, it was plug and play.

Mill Creek...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Only download or cd version is locked to a device. The SD cards can be used in any device. I brought one to Thailand a few years ago and moved it back and forth between an etrex and a nuvi. Too bad I lost etrex with chip in it. Now I need another one for next trip.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Good in cities but it has a nasty habit of taking you of the main road into rural road short cuts,better used in combination with a normal map

North East England...
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

Ok, we rented one when we rented our car in Malaysia and it was worth the money; certainly less than you propose to spend buying it for your GPS. We're renting one when we pick up our car in Thailand too and we also have a really good road map.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

consider using google maps on your mobile with a Thai sim card with mobile data, that is we we did and we drove all over the south of Thailand and never got lost once.

North East England...
Level Contributor
520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone used the Garmin South East Asia GPS Map in Thailand?

You know, I'm really lazy and don't get a Thai sim. No one rings me, I message using wifi. I understand you can download a specific google map search and use it as an 'interactive map'. Don't know tho as I haven't done it.