We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protests in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Protests in Bangkok

I will be staying in the Banyan Tree Hotel, is it near to the protest area? Is it in a safe area? As traffic chaos is anticipated, can I request an advice as to the best way to go to the Hotel?

Hau2013

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Hi Hau,

In light of the possible traffic gridlock, I would take the Airport Rail Line to Phaya Thai. Then take BTS train to Siam Station & change train to Chong Nonsi BTS Station. From here you could take a short taxi ride to Banyan Tree Hotel at South Sathorn Road. This is provided you're travelling light & have no more than 2 people.

Otherwise, take a taxi & pray hard for no massive jams

Edited: 26 November 2013, 03:32
Bangkok
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Banyan Tree Hotel is quite far from the protest areas. I recommend also the way from Airport by Airport Rail Link and Sky Train. From your Hotel you can also reach Saphan Taksin Sky Train station. From there it's a short way to Central Pier Sathorn. From here you can travel with Chao Phraya Express Boats and avoid traffic in the city. Read more: …blogspot.com/2013/11/big-protests-in-bangko…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will take the Airport Rail Line. There are only two of us. When I made an attempt to locate the stations you suggested, it appears that Sala Daeng Station is closer to the Hotel. Are there reasons that you suggested taking taxi from Chong Nonsi, please? It seems Chong Nonsi is a larger station, would it be that it will be easier to get a taxi there? By the way, can I have a rough idea how much time would the journey by this route from the Airport take?

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Hau2013 Sala Daeng station is the same size as Chong Nonsi station, and about the same distance from your hotel. Sala Daeng is in Silom Road which has seen a number of protest gatherings. That is unlikely at Chong Nonsi (although there are no guarantees). Journey times can vary but I'd allow around an hour. I'd also recommend keeping an eye on news about what is going on.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Thank you too for your advice. The Express Boat sounds a good alternative. I have never tried it before, can it take me any good size shopping mall?

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Protests in Bangkok

Not really, not many of the mainshopping malls are on the riverside. Places Like Central World, Siam Paragon, and MBK can all be reached in a few minutes by skytrain.

The riverboats are a pleasant and cheap way to see the riverside sights though. Here is their official website. www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/home

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Protests in Bangkok

The express boat is good for seeing Grand Palace and Wats. For shopping you need skytrain.

8. Re: Protests in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17