We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Chiangmai

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Chiangmai

Hi, I would like to know whether has anyone ever travel from bangkok to chiangmai, Is it better to travel via bus , minibus or train? How many hours does it take?

Edited: 28 November 2013, 14:17
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

It's better to fly, takes about 1 hour. Anything else is an overnight job.

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Thank you Gippy3000 for the advice.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Take a look at flights with Nok or Air Asia for the cheapest prices. Apart from flying I would say it's a toss up between bus and train. Both are long journeys and not really comfortable although a lot of people like the train. I don't think you can get a minivan and wouldn't recommend it anyway as the drivers are crazy.

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Ya we tried taking bus to hatyai from penang and we met a true crazy driver who drives like mad mad dog. OMG.

Nvr tried nook before though

I also need help on whether is chiangrai close to chiangmai? How many hours does it take to reach chiangrai from chiangmai?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
305 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Chiang Rai is about 200 Kms from Chiang Mai, don't know about buses but I've been by taxi and it took a couple of hours or so.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Hi

From Chaingmai you can go by the Green bus ( government bus, reliable just turn up at bus station no need to book in advance) to Chaingrai. The journey will take approximately 3 hours.

Form Bangkok to Chiangmai I would fly instead. Nowadays the airfares are very reasonable especially with those low cost airlines a suggested above. But keep in mind low cost operate from DMK airport, the full service the like of Thai airs and Bangkok airways operate from Suvarnnabhumi international airport.

Cheers,

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Flying is a last resort, for businessmen in a mad rush. You won't see or experience anything inside a plane, it would be a total cop-out. Plus you'd waste hours getting to and from airports, doing all the airport security nonsense. Stay grounded, and SEE Thailand!

Just do what everyone does, take the overnight train. It's cheap, comfortable, and a real Thai experience, part of what you go to see and do!

They've been upgrading the tracks for the last month or two, but trains will resume as from 1 December 2013.

You can buy train tickets through agencies such as www.asia-discovery.com or just buy yourself at the station.

The train ride the Chiang Mai is part of the experience, not merely transportation!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 11:40
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
305 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Indeed they are at last beginning to upgrade the tracks to Chiang Mai, there have been numerous derailments of late and my local paper as well as the expat forums are regularly reporting problems on the trains, which are fast becoming a national disgrace.

I have travelled on the overnight trains from Bangkok, they nearly always run late, and I'm not talking about a few minutes and being through the night you cannot see anything anyway. The trains contain more than their fare share of drunken revellers, I would argue against it being a Thai experience.

I prefer a one hour flight with Air Asia, Nok Air, Bangkok Airways or even Thai, the journey to either airport is almost as easy as the journey to the railway station, and with online check-in the air journey is a doddle and very reasonably priced, and I get to my chosen city quicker and more relaxed.

But to each their own.

By the way I love the Man in Seat 61 website, and regularly use it for rail travel advice when I'm planning train travel.

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

I also like train journeys, however when you are in the overnight train it will be so dark outside that you will hardly see anything. The last part to CM is nice though, but you need to wake up early to enjoy it. Still always choose the nighttrain over the daytrain. It will save you one night in a hotel as well. Also keep in mind that the lower bunk beds are much more comfortable than being upstairs. You could also go by train to CM and return by plane from CR. Cost wise there is not much of a difference between train and plane, when you book well in advance.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok to Chiangmai

Quite some time ago we took the day time train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and to be honest there was very little of interest to see for most of the journey. It started to get interesting once we were a few hours outside CM but by then it was beginning to get dark, so we could only see a little bit of the countryside for a short while. These days we take the plane.