We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Kingston-upon-Hull...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

We are a well travelled couple in our mid 40's but young at heart and have lived and worked in many different countries. We are travelling to SE Asia for a couple of months in January for the first time and will fly into Bangkok where we plan to just chill out for a few days or so, taking in the sights etc, before going walkabout. When we travel we like to experience places as the locals do with the odd trip to a local attraction but we aren't really into tourist traps having been ex-pats ourselves for many years.

We would like to hear from you guys who are faniliar with Bangkok whether you would choose the Sukhumvit or Banglamphu areas as a first base (or maybe elsewhere)

Thanks for your views and go easy.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Both places are busy tourist areas I guess if you just want to wander around and chill I would have to say Banglamphu but generaly for ease of accesss to travel links etc if you wanted to visit many areas of the city maybe Sukhumvit higher Soi numbers are a bit more away from the main tourist areas say about Soi 61 but still near sky train.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Hi,

As Chris suggests both places are quite busy tourist areas. However, the hotel on the link below is located at On Nut which is a few Skytrain stations away from the main tourist area:

immhotel.com/bangkok/…default-en.html

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

For me Banglamphu and the Khao Sans Rd area. I'm in my early 50s and I still enjoy the buzz , great vibe and atmosphere this area has to offer on an evening. You will pay much less for a beer and for food in restaurants in KSR area and you have all nationalities including the locals frequenting the bars and restaurants.

You have the river and its very good daytime transport links close by to get you about during the day. I stay in the Wongwian Yai area when in Bangkok but try to get up to KSR at least once a week.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Rover +1.

Asia
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Banglamphu if no young kids, if not it will be Sukhumvit

Kingston-upon-Hull...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

Thanks for your input guys. Decided to spend a few nights in each location before heading north.

Go Easy

7. Re: Sukhumvit or Banglamphu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17