We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Bangkok

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Bangkok

Hi all,

Just a quick question - can anyone recommend places to go and things to do on Christmas in Bangkok? We are not really fussy, nor are looking for something in particular. We saw that there are a number of upmarket hotels that offer very nice and expensive buffet lunches. A I said we are really not that fussed and just looking for someone special.

Thanks in advance!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Hi

Thailand is Buddhist country so you wouldn't see much happening there apart form those big hotels or restaurants that you go in for Galla dinners on Xmas eve or Xmas lunch on Xmas day.

However the big shopping malls do decorated in lights and jingles.

If you want to have an opertunity to see lights and maybe nice photos opportunity then head to BTS national stadium stations, there's over head bridge ( walk ways ) between MBK and Siam discovery. There are some nice display of Xmas lights to be seen. Last time we saw lots of photographer both professional and tourists alike took photos there.

Maybe some nice lunch at some of the hotel along the riverside !!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Malls are decorated, Christmas music plays - except for being 85 degrees out you could be in a Western country.

Your hotel may impose a Christmas party fee that you pay for if you go or not. Some bars have parties. Do a forum search.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Or, south of the equator!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Generally the upmarket hotel buffets are as you rightly state very expensive and IMHO not worth the money. For me unless you really want to make an occasion of it I would find a nice street restaurant for a meal and then hit a few bars for some beers and a bit of fun.

If you want to party hit Khaosan Road.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

**I would find a nice street restaurant for a meal and then hit a few bars for some beers and a bit of fun.**

+1

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,446 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

I've heard that the Londoner Brew Pub puts on a very good English Christmas dinner: the-londoner.com/event/…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I'll be finding a good street stall, possibly even Peking duck in Yaowarat and then head to a roof top bar. All in all that should be cheaper than a table for 1 at the Christmas buffets. Last time I checked they were about 3000B pp

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
629 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Did you find something you enjoyed last year? We're looking for something this year - just 2 of us.

Battambang, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

Yes we will be there also from U.S. and would enjoy something nice but not expensive this year as well in BKK

10. Re: Christmas in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2015, 05:16