We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday night traffic

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Friday night traffic

We arrive early Friday evening and wondered if there will be horrendous traffic jams coming in from the airport to the city. Just deciding whether we might be aswell getting the skytrain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday night traffic

Most traffic will be heading out of the city but there will be jams on the inner city. Why not use the airport rail link for at least part of your journey?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday night traffic

Which airport? What time do you arrive? The Airport Rail Link leaves from Suvarnabhumi but not Don Muang. Hours from 0600 to midnight. Is your hotel on or near the Skytrain route? Any problem carrying bags up and down stairs when necessary?

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

You sit in a taxi, it is air conditioned and it is door to door. (Just make a head call before you leave the airport.) The driver usually knows how to go around accidents, construction and traffic jams when possible. For Bangkok I personally like the Skytrain when it is available - but mostly because I am cheap!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday night traffic

I would take a taxi. I have arrived in the morning and evening when there has been traffic and gotten to my hotel in under an hour. It's not like you sit in traffic for hours.

Sharm El Sheikh...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday night traffic

Picked up friends a few weeks back from Suvarnabhumi at 5pm travelled to west side of river, traffic was horrendous (3 hours) I am good at avoiding peak hours...........not this time

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday night traffic

A lot depends on which airport and which part of the city you are travelling to.

For example suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit is a fairly straightforward run as it is only just off the expressway but to china town or Khaosan road could meet with a lot more congestion.

scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday night traffic

We get into Suvanabumi airport at 6m and heading to lumping. It's handy for skytrain, but if traffic won't be too bad then I think I'll get a taxi

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday night traffic

"...but if traffic won't be too bad then I think I'll get a taxi.."

You can never predict if an accident would close the road down. Bangkok is still lively to way after midnight. Even if you get stuck in traffic for an extra 10 or 15 minutes there is still plenty to do that same evening.

Good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday night traffic

After a long flight I would take a taxi. Door to door.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friday night traffic

Most of my flights arrive at Bangkok 6.30 -8 pm and its ARL and skytrain every time.

45 Baht and 28 minutes ARL journey from airport to Phaya Thai and another journey which will not exceed 42 Baht to many destinations in Bangkok. No traffic, great views of the city from an elevated position and no problems with taxi drivers not using meters and trying to rip off a jet lagged travellor.

But as mentioned before much depends how far you need to travel when you disembark from the Skytrain to get to your accommodation.

10. Re: Friday night traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:18