We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

New Jersey
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

I will be visiting Bangkok soon, and would like to be able to download

a somewhat detailed tourist oriented map of Bangkok that I can use

without a data connection (offline) but with GPS on an Android 4.0 mobile.

Turn by turn navigation not necessary, just need GPS for "where am I ?"

I have already downloaded the Tripadvisor Bangkok city guide app -- not bad, but the

map and accuracy could be better. Also not sure if it will work w/ GPS.

The Google Maps app will not create an offline map of Bangkok as it does for other locales,

at least on my Android 4.0 mobile.

Google Play seems to list many possibilities, but it is clear that some are just

advertising interfaces.

I could use a recommendation from another traveler.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

Try City Maps 2go

worked ok for me at the start..

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
965 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

Why not just get a local sim for your device? So simple and cheap.

Level Contributor
653 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

Go the Luditte way and leave all your toys in the hotel.....get basic map at hotel and use it. If you want to have a bit of fun, do the streetview google map thingy and familiarize yourself with area you are visiting. Buy toss em cameras, just develop before you do. Slow travel is greatly recommended. Strange and unplanned experiences often result with great outcomes!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

Google Maps will download a map that you can use "offline". When online, access GM and select your hotel, and a location you want to visit. Zoom out to the limits of the city. That's it.

Then when you go offline you can view the map. Just don't attempt any search that wipes the map showing. Your location can be viewed using the GPS (blue dot). And you can zoom in and out and the app keeps the detail.

I've used that method in BKK; once for getting to the Crystal Design Center in outer Bangkok (checked the taxi driver's route), and numerous times in India and Shanghai.

It's not perfect, nor is it an intended use of GM. But it generally works. :-)

You could also look at Everytrail Pro, an app that downloads maps you can use offline, and provides some DIY tours. But I found that Everytrail was about 100-200m inaccurate via a via the GPS and my actual location.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 06:29
5. Re: Offline Bangkok tourist map app, Android mobile w/ GPS ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:17