We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Hi - we are flying to BKK for the first time in July. Is it true that the shopping in BKK is much cheaper than in Phuket, where we usually go. I am referring to the usual tourist purchases - cheapish ladies clothing, copy T shirts for men, handbags, pashminas, shoes, Kiwi brand kitchen knives, makeup, and who knows what else we might see ...... I don't want to waste time in BKK shopping for "bargains" if it's not really much cheaper than in Phuket. We are only there for 3 full days, so don't want to waste time on shopping if seeing the sights is really a better use of our limited time. (My better half is not into shopping, but graciously trails after me with the large backpack, being the porter, so I need to be considerate as to where and when we shop.) We have found good leather shoes purchased in Robinsons to be much cheaper in Phuket than in NZ, is BKK even better for shoes than Phuket? I hope to go to MBK, and as we arrive Friday night, was thinking of going to the Chatuchak market over the weekend. Are there any ready made curtains available in MBK, or in Chatuchak? Any replies much appreciated as BKK is an unknown factor for us. Any advice on best area to stay? We are not "nightlife/party" people, although we enjoy a nice Thai food dinner, and like a quiet night to sleep! So a good base to see the main sights, with easy travel options would be good. Thanks very much, looking forward to our 5th trip.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Hi

For shopping its depends on what your looking for. For tourist trinkets Phuket have more. Bangkok have more varieties if you're looking for clothes, shoes or for everything for that matter. Personally I prefers Bangkok shopping. Bangkok have endless more some mall /shops have a deals the more items you buy the cheaper you get the like of platinum mall, pratunam mall etc.

There are furnitures stores in MBK I think you may find the ready mad curtain there. You can go to weekend market during the day and go to the malls night time. The malls in Bangkok open from 10.00 - 22.00 daily.

For place to stay if you're there for shopping stay in Siam area, here you can walk to all the malls ( MBK, Siam paragon, Siam discovery , Siam center just to name a few).

There are

Pathumwan princess adjacent to MBK

Siam @ Siam

Novotel Siam

Ibis Siam

Holiday Inn express Siam

Murcure Siam

These hotels are next to BST

Of check our more here www.sawadee.com/

Cheers.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,226 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Hi,

As suggested by sweetpea check out the Platinum mall for cheapish ladies clothing. However, do pay careful attention to the quality. There are many malls in Bangkok and if you are lucky you may find some significant reductions. Aside from the places mentioned check out Terminal 21 which is on Sukhumvit and right next to the Asok BTS. I would also stay around the Siam square area or a little further out on Sukhumvit which is well served by the Skytrain.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

You just have to visit Chatuchat on saturday or sunday, your porter will be absolutely handy there and you can park him on a (beer) bar close to the antique section and contunie strolling for jewelry, home items, decoration, shoes, bags, clothing etc etc. I have seen at least ready made curtains in cotton, mostly kitchen style over there. This market is not only shopping, it's an experience suitable for all and that's why it is not 'counted' as shopping ( even you do a lot of shopping)! There will be also some foot massage places close to the MTR station, they come handy and relaxing after full day walking. Close to them is the grill party; several stands selling grilled chicken etc food pieces, delicious and clean ( if your hands are clean). And after the main part of shops close, new vendors open up on the side street and it just goes on...

If you choose to stay at Siam & Siam or Pathumwan Princess, you can also visit all shops 6 floors at MBK just any free time your hubby is by the pool or relaxing in the room. Direct in the house-entry from P.P. hotel to the mall, handy!! There is also a good super market in the ground floor to fill up the fridge with own stuff too.

Ready made curtains can be found on the 5th(?) floor close to hotel side of the mall, among all other household things.

The rest of the time is reserved for main sights, I suppose! Have fun!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Thanks to all for the advice so far! I am excited and will have to start looking for accommodation options now that I know roughly where we should be. Much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

Hi,

For shopping there is so many place in Bangkok like in Siam Paragon, Platinum, MBK and Chatuchak Market all the things here is very affordable price.

6. Re: First trip to Bangkok, 5th to Thailand - advice needed pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18