We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article about Bangkok Old Town

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Article about Bangkok Old Town

I'm posting this link again because there are a lot of interesting tips in it for anyone staying in or visiting Rattanakosin Island, Banglamphu or as it's misnamed "Khao San Road area."

…asia-city.com/city-living/article/living-ba…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

That's a great article, Bill. Thanks for posting it. I will definitely check out a lot of the places mentioned when I'm next in Bangkok.

How's the wrist? All healed I hope.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

I love the old city area - looks like we're heading to Bangkok next June for 6 nights so might be able to check some of these places out.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

I love this area of Bangkok. What interests me about this article is the arrival of the MRT. Is this the proposed blue line beyond Hualamphong?

How far on with this are they? Will the proposed new routes be opened by the end of this decade?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

I really enjoyed the article and don't know why it was removed.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

Skeezix, thanks for asking but unfortunately this is something I'll have to live with. And the long-term prognosis is quite pessimistic.

One of the things I like about the article is that it flies in the face of all the clichés about the "Khao San Road area." It's the historical heart of Bangkok and much more atmospheric than seedy Sukhumvit or commercial Silom. And you can venture into a narrow trok and discover a centuries-old ethnic community only steps away from where oblivious backpackers scarf their banana pancakes.

The MRT extension is being built piecemeal in a number of locations. Projected date of opening is 2017, but as is common in big infrastructure projects worldwide, this could be set back by years. After its jog through Rattanakosin, the MRT will run for a considerable distance on the west side of the river (partly as an elevated line) and eventually join up with the existing MRT at Bang Sue to form a ring. You can see many pictures and commentary at 2bangkok.com.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

As long as I don't have to drive around, I love the area. Actually, the area is ideal for walking around.

Away from KSR, Banglamphu is great. Rattanakosin is one of the best places to get feel for how bangkok was.

The architecture is fantastic. Unfortunately, much of it is shrouded with electric and telephone wires. I wish I could have seen it before technology mucked it up.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, with Fearless Leader claiming the territory, transportation into, and around, the area is even worse than usual.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

I agree, away from KSR the whole area has such a nice feel, better than the tall buildings of Suk.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

Anything's gotta be better than the tall buildings of seedy Suk! Lol But don't say it out too loud on here.

My problem is walking around this area, and Chinatown as a relative newbie you get so engrossed its so easy to get lost even with a map.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

For me, most of Chinatown, itself, is a bit of a snoozer. I like the area north.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Article about Bangkok Old Town

#3 @roverEngland (and others curious about rail line extensions) 2Bangkok's forum has folks who follow this closely with details (and gossip). Two links below go to threads on BMCL and MRTA extensions.

2bangkok.com/forum/forumdisplay.php…

2bangkok.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Subway

And the top page of the 2Bangkok forum, from which you can drill down to other topics (State Railway, Airport Rail Link, the two airports, etc).

http://2bangkok.com/forum/forum.php

Here's a thread in Skyscrapercity - which often has lots of photos:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

Most recent stuff on this thread:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

One might want to interpret the promotional announcements from some quarters in context. Which ones might be like 10 baht tuk tuk tours while the Grand Palace is closed? But - as one travels around the city, one sees lots of concrete being poured. How much of the master plan linked to below will actually see service as mapped?

upic.me/i/zc/bangkok_mrt_masterplan_eng.jpg

Or this?

upic.me/i/bx/1277376_565041056890084_1819742…