We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
190 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Several weeks ago I arrived in Bangkok for the start of a group trip. I went to the taxi stand at BKK airport and told them I needed to go to Viengtai Hotel in Phra Nakhon next to Khao San Road. After paying almost 100 baht in tolls alone, the taxi driver told me the fare was 600 baht. I found out the next day that my taxi driver had charged me about double the standard fare as it should not have cost more than 300 baht.

I will return to Bangkok in a few days and will need a taxi from DMK airport to the Glow Pratunam Hotel at 919 Petchburi Road in Kwang Thanon Phayathai in Bangkok. About how much should the fare be and how do I avoid getting essentially robbed by an unethical taxi driver? I understand that most Thais are lovely, hardworking and honest people but that taxi driver left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Just insure they use the meter. I guess the last guy didnt.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

* . About how much should the fare be and how do I avoid getting essentially robbed by an unethical taxi driver? I understand that most Thais are lovely, hardworking and honest people but that taxi driver left a VERY bad taste in my mouth *

You can 'protect yourself' with knowledge and simple awareness:If you wanna know approximate tAXI fares, ask at your hotel/tourist info places, don't be shy, and ask diffferent taxis to find one that suits you. Either agree a fixed price beforehand, or use the meter like Dodger said. It isn't rocket science.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:31
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Agree. You need to have the driver use the meter. Very simple.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Get in the taxi and say meter. Say it to the person at the ticket queue too.

Keep the chit they give you. Its the taxi info.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

DO NOT AGREE TO A FIXED PRICE! If a driver even starts to discuss a fixed fare, find another taxi. When you get into a taxi, ascertain the driver is starting the meter at the 35 baht drop fare. If the driver refuses to turn on the meter, get out and insist on another taxi. What you pay coming from the airport is the amount on the meter plus 50 baht airport surcharge. IF you use the toll highway (this is optional) you pay the tolls which come to 75 baht. The average amount for most destinations in central Bangkok is 350 baht. We have much more on taking taxis from the airport here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c116554/Thail…

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
876 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

It’s to late now but the taxi dispatcher at the airport should have given you a slip of white paper with instructions on what to do in the unlikely event you had any problems with the taxi and information on the taxi as well, along with an explanation of any addition charges. As said before only get in taxis that are willing to use meter. It may take several tries in busy tourist areas before you find one that will. Set price is never better than metered price, usually they doubled or triple the price you will pay for a metered taxi. Good luck, have a great trip!

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Wear a suit of armour, and learn the way of the sword, lol!!

Sharm El Sheikh...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Airports, bus stations, tourist spot you just have state very clearly that you want the meter to be used for your journey, dont be rude or take things personally & dont be afraid to close doors if you sense hesitation, honest people are everywhere

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

Funny, I never even mention the meter, but it's always used. In all the years I've had just a couple of incidents with taxi drivers, and never from the airport.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How can I protect myself from unethical taxi drivers??

^^

I have never had an issue from the airport either....