We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

I am trying to see the following SITES in 4 days in strife ridden Bangkok:

Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Temple of the Emerald Budha, Wat Traimit (Chinatown), Wat Arun, Wat Saket, Erawan Shrine, Khlong Lat Mayom floating Market and the following MARKETS:

Terminal 1, Chatuchak Market, Pratunam Market, Platinum Fashion Mall. Central World, Khlong Thom and Yaowarat Road (china town).

And NIGHTLIFE as follows:

Patong Street only (not going inside any bar) Soi Cowboy and NEP (likely to see ONE bar each)

My proposed itinerary and stay is as follows:

9th Jan-Thursday-Staying at Rambuttri-morning palace and nearby monuments as Wat Phra Kaew. Afternoon Khlong Thom. Evening walk down Patong. Day is complete. Can I add anything to it as I dont know the distances or time taken to see each of these.

10th Jan-Friday-Staying at Rambuttri-Morning is free. Afternoon at Wat Traimit (Chinatown),Evening at Yaowarat Road.

11th Jan-Saturday-Staying at Sukhumvit-morning at Chatuchak Market. Evening at Soi Cowboy and Nana. Afternoon is free.

12th Jan-Sunday-Staying at DMK Airport-Morning at Khlong Lat Mayom floating Market. afternoon and evening free.

Please help me fit the missing blocks to complete the puzzle. I have not yet fitted the following into my itinerary due to lack of knowledge: Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Temple of the Emerald Budha, Wat Arun, Wat Saket, Erawan Shrine, Terminal 1, Pratunam Market, Platinum Fashion Mall, Central World, Pantip Plaza.

Please divide my destinations (Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Temple of the Emerald Budha, Wat Arun, Wat Saket, Erawan Shrine, Terminal 1, Pratunam Market, Platinum Fashion Mall, Central World, Pantip Plaza) as per my locations on the FOUR DAYS of my trip and help me create this itinerary and fit the missing blocks to complete the puzzle. Also, please tell me which areas I should avoid due to the current political problem and strikes in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance.

Will appreciate if only those who know the city VERY WELL reply as I am flying shortly and there is no time for a confused dialogue.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

I'm glad everyone got their questions answered.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
500 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

Vaishali,

Wat Pho is next to the Grand Palace, which includes the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Wat Arun is right across the river, accessible via ferry for about 5B, so you can visit it at the same time. I've never made it that far -- I run out of energy in the heat!

Wat Saket (Golden Mount) isn't far away via taxi but you might do well to schedule it separately. The spiral walk up the hill can be exhausting. Go early before it gets hot. You do get a really nice view of the city. Ring the gongs and bells on the way. Don't miss the temple at the base of the hill. I like to also visit the nearby Wat Ratchanada (Iron Wat). You can get to both of them from Sukhumvit by taking the Khlong San Saeb water shuttle. Note that you have to change boats halfway.

I recommend the khlong boats and Chao Phraya boats (transit, not tourist) as cheap fun and a good way to see things most tourists miss.

Terminal 21 (I assume that's what you mean) is on Sukhumvit at Asoke, so you can combine it into your loop there. Huge food court on the top floor is worth a trip -- not cheap, but good and a variety of food if you're tired of street food or if you're dying for Swensen's American-style ice cream. Also worth a visit: Soi Arab (Sukhumvit soi 3/1) for interesting food options.

Chatuchak was interesting when I took my daughter there, but we did not actually buy anything. We took the skytrain from Sukhumvit, but you also can take the MRT subway from Asoke station.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

Thanks a lot yelvington. My trip was awesome. I just got back!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

Navin4491, The immigration officer actually took my funds and counted them all. She brought a diary and calculator and converted the money into THB. The VOA was very fussy. There were titanic queues in the middle of the night and immigration officers were curt if not rude. Once the IO had finished converting my U$D to 20,000THB, she stopped counting and returned my money wad to me.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 09:29
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

hi Vaishali_Sood.

Nice to know you are back and I am sure you had a nice time. I hope the recent Bangkok turmoil did not affect you.

BTW, it was surprising that the officer checked your money at the VOA. Also I have always kept my VOA forms ready, and it has not taken me more than 30 minutes

A short JBR from you will be a good help to the fellow travelers.

36. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 23:05
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,767 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

" Bangkok is turmoil free. I went to MBK and participated in the protests."

What an irresponsible post! Have you read or heard about what has been happening in Bangkok today!!! Have you not read all the posts and government warnings advising tourists to stay away and NOT join in the protests!!!

I appreciate you have written a JBR. How long Just Back??? Completely insensitive to the advice that others, particularly locals who are there all the time are giving.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

"Bangkok is turmoil free. I went to MBK and participated in the protests. I was served free meals, given placards, ribbons, badges etc. It was fun and the protest was small, organized and hassle free and really organized."

I have read many things on this forum and that is one of the dumbest things I have laid my eyes on.

FYI, after the last war in Bangkok, foreigners who participated in that protest were arrested and charged!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

'S..t for Brains' springs to mind...six injured in a bomb blast yesterday at a demonstration site and some one posts this!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Bangkok on Strike: Help plan 4 day Itinerary

**immigration officers were curt if not rude**. That is funny!