We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Was just reading about the shutdown to begin on jan 13, from 5 to 20 days! We are scheduled to arrive in BKK on Jan 21, stay in BKK 3 nights then head to Koh Samui for a week, then to Luang Prabang for a week! (Via BKK) My question is..

Should we arrive in BKK and can't find a way into BKK due to taxis not running, or roads closed...would there still be the hope of getting to an airport hotel by airport shuttle and either staying the 3 nights at an airport hotel or stay one night at an airport hotel, then change our Bangkok Aiirways Flight to depart to Koh Samuii a few days earlier? Question being, would airport shuttles be affected by this strike or just within BKK city itself would transportation be affected?

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

There is no certainty or way of predicting what effects the "plan" to shutdown Bangkok will have and the longer you leave it to change your flights the more difficult it will be to do so. Given the level of uncertainty, and unless it is absolutely vital that you visit Bangkok, personally I would change my Samui flights now. I am very definitely risk averse so there's may think differently. At the end of the day only you can decide. Good Luck!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

We don't land in BKK til 11:45 pm, which is why I'm wondering if we do cancel our BKK city visit, if we'll be able to at least spend the night at an airport hotel.. Have not decided anything yet but going to give this some thought for sure!!!!!!!!!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

And we have been to Bangkok twice before, but not recently!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

If you decide to change now you should have no problem in booking an airport hotel if just for one night to catch your onward rearranged flight the next day. You will arrive in Samui tested and raring to go and not have sleepless nights waiting to see how the uncertainty may pan out.

We paid a return visit to Bangkok at the end of November before moving down to our "winter home" in Khao Lak which was in the early days of the protests. Even though we only observed one of the marchers as we passed under them on the river (all very friendly) our transfers in between tours from our hotel were affected significantly as the police reroute s traffic away from the then known protest sites. With those sites now being more diverse and unpredictable travelling around Bangkok will be no easy or pleasurable a time at all.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Which is the closest hotel to the Airport? I have the Best Western booked for our return which I believe is 20 minutes away, would like something closer? We are going to make our decision tomorrow! Just hope the airport doesn't shut down or we will be screwed! 😖

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Sorry, never stayed near the airport. Everyone days that no matter what the Thai authorities will not allow the airport to be occupied again.,let's hope that "everyone" is right!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Here's our list of hotels near Suvarnabhumi Airport: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c136691/Bangk…

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Thank you, i had just found that link prior yo your reply and am looking for hotels... :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
893 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

I am really hoping that "everyone" is right about the airport or i will be in a panic!!!!!!! Fingers crossed, i started planning this trip over a year ago and last minute i find myself changing everything!! Oh well the joys of travel :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Will the BKK Shutdown Affect My Trip?

Hi Tracy... There is a very nice hotel right in the Bangkok Airport called the Suvarnabhumi Novotel Airport Hotel. I stayed there in February for 1 night and I too arrived in Bangkok at close to midnight. It was expensive to stay there - around $175 a night - may be cheaper now because some travellers have changed or cancelled their plans to stay in BKK at the moment. But the staff was very efficient and helpful and hotel itself is lovely. It is about a 5-10 minute walk from the actual airport into the hotel, and I can't remember exactly, but I think you don't even need to go outside the airport to get to the hotel. You can ask any staff members after you've picked up your luggage, which direction to walk to get to the Novotel. Google the hotel if your are interested and the rate doesn't put you off. It's the most convenient place to stay.

Othewrwise, there are several small airport hotels within a 15 minute area from the airport that would be a lot cheaper, and you can book them ahead of time and be sure to request the shuttle service to p/u from airport and drop you off again at the airport the next day. Use the link that was offered in one of the other posts here, to get the names of these smaller airport hotels. Hope this helps.