We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 12:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Ashton168, there is dozens of treads asking this same question. Search for them and have a read.

But follow.

richardbarrow.com/2014/…

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

The British foreign office is only advising against travel to certain areas which include provinces on the Thailand Malaysia border and on the Thailand/Cambodia border. There is NO advise NOT to travel to Bangkok, they say you should avoid public protests if possible and there is talk of further protests from the 13th. Here is the link:

https:/…thailand

I would advise keeping an eye on the situation using the above site and they will tell you if it is unsafe to travel.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

FWIW, I have a trip planned from Jan 12 to the 16th. I will still be going to Bangkok

Manila, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

I just talked to my Thai friend and told me that there will be a big protest on Jan 13. I'm booked to go there too on the 13th and having second thoughts if I will push through. She told that there is plan to shutdown the city particularly the government offices. No taxis and bus on the 13th, only subways.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

The Bangkok Post has a map of where the protestors are planning to close intersections. You might want to see where your hotel is relative to the intersection blockades.

bangkokpost.com/news/local/387780/pdrc-annou…

If the map is accurate, my hotel is about half a kilometre outside the shutdown zone, which means I should be able to get to the airport by taxi on the 14th. Failing that, there is a metro a short walk away, and those are supposed to keep running. The major issue that is making me think about cutting my stay short before moving on to Chiang Rai is that several attractions are in the protest zone.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Hi Ashton168,

I can certainly empathize with your predicament.

The period from 13th January to the planned election on 2nd February could well be crucial for Thai politics. It could be ugly or, I hope, a non-event.

Nevertheless, you could still bring your Mom to Chiang Mai, instead of Bkk to celebrate her birthday. I can assure you that CM is also a superior destination for Thai food, good shopping, nice weather & Thai hospitality. You just need to purchase the connecting flights.

Perhaps you could call that 5-star hotel to find out whether you could defer the booking to a much later date. You could then give your Mom another treat to Bkk. Most top hotels are flexible & understanding as their clientele are often sophisticated & demanding.

Good luck.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 14:44
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Thank you very much. Have now followed as advised. Cheers.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Thank you so very much for the link, much appreciated. I am still hopeful that the Govt is able to work out something to avoid further demonstrations & threats of violence. In the meantime, I can only hope & pray.

Cheers.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

That's great to hear, I am also 70% sure we will still be going but just worried if we will "waste" our precious holiday time there if unable to go out & enjoy the city due to shutdown.......as most likely malls & restaurants would be shut? :(

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Warnings to Bangkok - January 2014

Thanks for your reply. I am also in touch with some friends who are currently on holidays there & others who reside & work there. So far they have warned about the possibility of the "city shutdown" but at the moment all is OK. But like you, what worries me would the unavailability of transports & closures of roads which will make travelling even more stressful & difficult to the already congested roads.......

All the best with your travel plans & let's hope the Govt can do something to stop the threats.

Cheers,

Hopefuls