We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

I will fly to Bangkok on the 16th of January, we will arrive on the 17th. Due to the Protest we wanted to leave out Bangkok in the beginning of the trip and see how the situation develops. Now our Plan would be to take a train to Chiang Mai directly after our arrival. We would have a window of appr. four hours to get from the airport to Hualamphong station to catch our train. I think the easiest way would be to take the airport link to makkasan station and change to the MRT there (petchaburi station).

However two things bother me:

1. Is it really reliable, that MRT and Airport Link will be operational during the "hot phase" of the protestes

2. Petchaburi Intersection is one of the points the protesters want to shut down (according to the list in the news). Is it even possible to change the trains there (and cross the intersection, with luggage)?

The only other way would be to take a taxi or a public bus. Is there any way of predicting, how long that would take to hualamphong? Taking about an hour for immigration, we only have three hours to make the way...

Thank you for your help!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,902 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Hi,

Save yourself time and take a bus or a taxi to Don Muang from where you can take the train to Chiang Mai. No need whatsoever to travel into the city proper.

glos
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Someone else might know better but I think you could take the free shuttle bus that runs between the BKK and DMK airports and then catch a train north from the adjoining railway station at DMK airport?

Not sure about advance booking , try Seat61 site?

Or take the easy way and catch a flight by Bangkok Air or Thai Air that leaves from your airport of arrival, BKK without leaving the airport?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

To be really sure hop on Bangkok Airways or Thai Air flight (assuming you are landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport) to Chiang Mai so then no need to take any chances with travelling in or around Bangkok.

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Thanks for the fast replies.

The Problem with taking the train from DMK ist how to get my hands on the tickets...

When you start the train travel in Hualamphong they can keep your tickets there. According to the booking site that is not possible in DMK.

Flying is also not very good. As we land at 6pm we would have to wait until the next morning to fly on to Chiang Mai. Plus we really want to take the train to see some scenery (slow train starting in BKK at 10pm and arriving in CM at 1pm the next day).

Do you know if there is a possibility to get the tickets to the airport (SUV or DMK) and keep them there? Delivery to Hotels in Bangkok is possible from the booking site, only we don't have one...

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,902 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Hi,

Do get in touch with the company below and explain your situation, perhaps they can help:

http://www.royalexclusive.com/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Der-Chillian

The scenery between Bangkok and Chiang Mai on the train is largely very boring consisting mostly of endless rice fields and certainly not worth the 12 hour journey.

Why not have a restful evening a nice meal and a good nights sleep before hopping a plane in the morning at one of the hotels near the airport

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
909 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

A easy way to go from Suvarnhabumi to Hualamphong avoiding the demonstrations is to take the "Airport link city line" up to "Makkasan City Air Terminal" station, then from there (by 150-200 m. of dedicated walk) to transfer to the station "Fetchaburi" of underground metro (MRT), up to the terminus of Hualamphong (eight stops).

My son has come last summer, is a rather fast way.

Brun066

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,871 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

Brun066, the OP was fully aware he could take the ARL train to Makkasan and change to Petchaburi (not "Fetchaburi") but he's worried the intersection may be in the middle of a whistle mob demonstration.

Der-Chillian, there IS a walkway there now and most likely it will not be occupied by demonstrators but you never know.

Don't the rail ticket agencies send tickets to your home address by express delivery if requested? If so, I would get the tickets sent to me and then board the train at Don Muang. You can take a taxi from BKK to Don Muang station. I don't think you'd qualify for the free shuttle unless you have an outgoing flight.

What do you mean you'd have to wait until the next morning for a flight? Thai Smile flies from BKK to CNX at 19:40 and 21:45 on January 17. Air Asia flies at 20:35, 21:20, and 22:10 from DMK. I'm sure Nok Air has some evening flights as well. Air would really be the best.

In addition, although it's good to be prepared, I'm wondering if the whistle mob will be able to come up with the numbers to block all those intersections and roads. I personally think this demo may partially fizzle.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

http://www.royalexclusive.com/

If you book your train tickets through Royal Exclusive you have the option to have them sent to you at home prior to leaving for your trip. It costs more but it's one way to get hold of the tix without having to go to Hualamphong.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
586 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong Station during Protests

You do not have to wait until the next morning to fly to Chiang Mai.

Thai Airlines International has a direct flight leaving at 21:45 (9:45 PM), which should give you time to clear customs, retrieve your bags, and check back in. . Dohop.com gives the price as $80.