We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking advance flights

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buxton, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Booking advance flights

Can anyone advise the best way to book an economy air fare (Destination Thailand maximum one stop) when my travel dates are very flexible and I want to travel to Thailand in December 2014 and return six to eight weeks later. I seem to be able to book in December 2014 but there are no flights available for January 2015 and trying to book a one way ticket seems to be as expensive as some return flights

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking advance flights

Hi

I don't think you will allowed ( the airlines check ) to get in Thailand if you don't have onward flight ( some please correct me if I'm wrong) out if Thailand.

The reason you can't book Jan 2015 because the airlines hasn't release ( I've been told) the new price yet. It is too early.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking advance flights

December - January holiday periods are usually more expensive for hotels AND flights! As you discovered one way flights and round trip are not that far apart in price.

If you intend to return home book round trip to Bangkok. If you do visit other countries nearby those flights from and back to Thailand are cheaper than flying one way back to the UK. having a definite departure date makes it easier to plan a budget too. You will need a tourist visa for Thailand if you arrive with a one way flight or stay past 30 days.

Call your airline and ask when January flights will be released.

Good luck.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking advance flights

Where do you ant to fly to in Thailand? If Bangkok from Manchester Emirates, Qatar and Etihad fly direct with one stop change in Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi respectively. If you are thinking of Phuket the same airlines fly direct to there with one stop except Qatar which after Doha lands at Kuala Lumpur to drop off and pick up passengers but Phuket passengers stay on the plane. Subscribe to their Email alerts for news of flight release dates and Sales. Return flights are only released by airlines about 340 days from date of return, hence no return prices available yet. You could also fly Manchester to Amsterdam and then non-stop to Bangkok with KLM. Take care as 3rd part on-line agencies will offer flights before they are released by airlines at prices and on schedules that may vary significantly when the flights are officially released.

Use Skyscanner.net or Kayak.co.uk to search for flights when they are released to meet your dates. Being flexible is great and Skyscanner is particularly useful as it allows you to search for flights on any date going out and back in a particular month. Be careful, as advised previously, about the 3rd party sites. They may seem to be cheapest but when you get through to them don't exist at that price and/or offer the most restricted seats e.g. No change allowed, even for a fee, No cancellation allowed and you lose everything and usually a credit card charge and longest transfer times in transit airports. Avoid this by booking direct with the airlines and looking for flights with shortest transfer time unless you don't mind spending hours in an airport lounge.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking advance flights

Flights for January 2015 have not been loaded into the airline computers. Most airlines load the flights about 330 days out. Wait until the end of February or early March and the flights will be there. It is a good idea to start looking early, but unless you have a good idea of what to expect to pay, no real need to book this far out. Watching fares for a few weeks, or even a couple of months, may save you money (and in all candor may not). Longhaul fares can fluctuate quite a bit, but not always. From the USA, fares over Christmas and New Year tend to be higher than fares either returning home before Christmas, or departing after New Year.

5. Re: Booking advance flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20