We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to handle - advice

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Goteed1
Level Contributor
372 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to handle - advice

I have really bad luck with taxis in any city but especially Bangkok. If there are a million honest drivers, the one dishonest one will find his way to me, so I'm used to arguing with them. But in Bangkok, when I ask the bellhop to call me a cab, he, of course, usually gets his friend waiting for me with a "special rate." Flagging one down on the street in this particular locale is not an easy task. Do I just tell the bell hop only a meter taxi and insist? I like this hotel except for this one thing that bugs me,

Edited: 08 January 2014, 06:35
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Hi Goteed, the best thing to do is use public transport, it really is easy to use and you can get to all the main sightseeing and shopping areas, forget the taxis.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Also, you don't say where you're staying and where you want to visit, it would help to know to direct you to the nearest station.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Yes, tell the bellhop you only want a cab that uses the meter. Don't argue with Thai taxi drivers. If he won't use his meter or if he even begins to negotiate, get out of the cab. If you do that one or two times in front of the hotel, the bellman loses face and he will call you a straight cab.

But why can't you wave down a taxi on your own? There are thousands of taxis at any hour of the day on every main street in the city.

Goteed1
Level Contributor
372 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Thanks, I'm going from a hotel in the Silom area to the airport. Normally I would take the train, I love using public transport, but I have some extra luggage this trip.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to handle - advice

It's possible the bellman is getting a kickback. But it's also possible that -- out of sheer laziness -- they simply call in one of the drivers that hangs out near the hotel. And they're well-known to fleece passengers.

If you have a phone, you could also call a cab yourself. The numbers include 1545, 1661 and 1681. They're guaranteed to use their metres and you pay a 20 baht surcharge.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Hi

I have stayed at hotels that were a walk to the main streeet for a cab.

If too much luggage aske the bellhop to get you one from the street and give him 20 baht or so

make sure mettered some hotels won't allow local street taxis only want you to use thier expensive ones.and won't let bell hops get you one off the street

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Just tell the bellhop that you want a meter taxi.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,242 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to handle - advice

we asked our bell hop to get us a cab from our hotel to DM airport .. it arrived really quickly, we got in & bags were loaded into the boot, bell hop said 'special price 400baht' ...I said no thankyou- meter please" (here we go!).. both these lines were repeated several times, I said "meter please or we get out of the taxi" .... driver pretended not to understand, bell hop looked like he didn't beleive me, I repeated it, my hubby looked enbarrassed... stalemate ... we got out and the bellhop had no choice but to get us another ab. Stand your ground & insist on a metred cab. Final cost under 200baht.

Goteed1
Level Contributor
372 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Just to close the loop, I asked the bellhop to get me a metered taxi, he said no problem. I told the driver before we got in, meter only. Of course as soon as I got in the car, he announced special price for super highway, 500 baht!

This one was greedy! I had to repeat several times Meter only, finally he got the message. Meter price was 250 baht.

Thanks for the support. This gets a little tiresome in bangkok. I also got hit up by the ciggarette butt police inspector this trip. Luckily I got out of that. When the inspector grabbed my arm to bring me to the police station I took out my phone amd began taking pics of his name badge and face. He let me go right after that.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,617 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to handle - advice

Goteed, there are a couple of areas in Bangkok which are red hot spots for the cigarette police. Of course you shouldn't throw you butt down anyway, but in both areas it would be amazing if there was a bin to be found.

I've solved the problem for myself as I have a little brass ashtray with a lid which I keep in my handbag. I sometimes have keen officious looking people begin to follow me to see what I'll do with the butt then drop off as soon as I produce my little ashtray.

Have you noticed that nobody turns a hair when a local tosses a cigarette butt down on the footpath or into the gutter?