We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killing Time At BKK?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Killing Time At BKK?

I land in BKK at 1215am. Of course check in at the guest house I have arranged isn't until 1pm. They said I could show up at 9am and lock my luggage up and if it was ready I could have my room but no promises. With customs, baggage collection etc. a couple hours should be killed. I also plan on getting a SIM card at the airport and maybe a bite to eat.

Any suggestions on what to do for a few hours there? I don't want to be wandering a city I've never been to in the middle of the night with luggage so I figure its best to hang around til morning when transit is more frequent. Any day bed/sleeping areas?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

Book a room for the previous night and then you can sleep. :)

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

Agree, a cheap guesthouse to sleep is the best way to spend that time!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

It would be much better if you booked your accomodation for the day of your arrival (ie the day it is BEFORE midnight), then advised them you'll be coming in late. Landing at 00:15, you'll probably be at your guesthouse by around 02:00. Hotels and guesthouses in Bangkok are accustomed to guests showing up in the wee hours. Most flights from North America land at midnight or later. There are plenty of taxis at the airport 24/7 and they're CHEAP. (Tell the driver not to use the Expressway. No sense paying tolls after midnight.) You will not be arriving into a dead, dark airport but a busy place full of hundreds of people. Bangkok anyway tends to be a 24/7 kind of place.

After a lengthy flight acoss the world, believe me, all you will want is a shower and a proper bed, not to hang around an airport for many hours.

If you insist on hanging in, there's really not a lot to do at Suvarnabhumi. The things you mentioned. Hang out at the Magic Food Court, but that gets old, fast.

Much better to head for your guest house and wake up late in the morning, refreshed, in one of the world's great cities rather than making your way, bleary-eyed, in the early morning into the city.

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

There is really nothing to do at Suvarnabhumi airport. Don't be under the false pretense you will be landing in BKK, the airport is about 20 KMs outside of the city and there is nothing around it, especially at that hour. I would just book your hotel for the previous day of arrival so you are not living liuke a hobo for those 10 or so hours.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

Absolutely agree with everyone who advises booking your accommodation for the extra day. After such a long flight it would be extremely miserable to be hanging around for hours waiting for access to a bed and shower. Your first day would be a complete wipe off as you'd feel somewhat stunned and disoriented. and probably not wake up until well into the night. It's always better to explore new surroundings during daylight hours which you could do if you were refreshed after a few hours sleep.

6. Re: Killing Time At BKK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19