We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Hi,

my husband and I are going to Thailand for the first time in February. Actually it will be our first time anywhere in Asia.

We'll be arriving around midday local time, which is around 6 in the morning in Europe. We don't sleep easily on an airplane so I expect us to be really knackered by the time we get to our hotel (around Nana).

My plan would be to get a few hours sleep in our hotel room, wake up around 5pm again, spend a few hours in the city and then hopefully, we'll be tired enough to go back tot sleep anywhere between 10 - 12 in the evening.

Any suggestions on how to spend those first hours in BKK on a saturday evening?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Hi,

Sounds logical enough to me. You could walk to the nearby Terminal 21 mall, take a look around and eat there. This will serve as a gentle introduction to Thailand/Bangkok.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

I like you also do not sleep on a plane but oddly enough I find that once I arrive I do not want to sleep, I generaly have a bit of a walk and maybe get a bite of street food and then either chill by the pool for a while or find somewhere to sit and drink tea (often the terrace of the Landmark Hotel) where I can people watch for a while.

In the evening I go out fairly early have a light dinner couple of cold beers and head back to the hotel about 11 ish when I find I can sleep very easily.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

If you can somehow sleep even for a few hours on the flight it will make a BIG difference. I frequently do the same route you are about to take and (chemically) force myself to sleep.

When I land in Bangkok, I'm dealing with the hassles of Immigration, baggage claim and transportation into the city with clear eyes and head, not through a sleep-deprived haze. Usually, I can't check into my accommodation until early afternoon, so I use their pool/gym area and have a shower and swim, change clothes, drop my bag off at Reception, go for a long breakfast, get a haircut and massage and then finally get into my room. I sometimes have a short nap, but otherwise force myself to stay up until something approximating an adult bedtime. And the next day I'm fit and un-lagged.

For sleeping on the plane, I take that prescription no-hangover medication I mentioned, use noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask, and once the evening meal is over I resolutely refuse to watch a movie or use any entertainment device except for playing some soothing music through the headphones. If I'm lucky I don't wake up until we're over the Bay of BengaL Makes for a short flight as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

I never manage to sleep on a flight but once in the hotel I find a 2 hour afternoon nap (no more) keeps me going well into the evening, draw the blinds and make sure the rooms dark, not forgetting to set the alarm on your mobile. If I miss the siesta and try to keep awake it tends to spoil my first evening.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

we'll definitly be taking sleeping pills on the plane but with a stopover in Qatar, I expect not to get a lot of sleep.

Thanks for the replies but I was more looking for tips like Andy's post, what to do during those first hours: nothing to hectic or exhausting, but a nice introduction to BKK: Shopping mall, or a nice place to have a drink and watch people go by,... that sort of thing

Looking forward to that streetfood so verrrrry much :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Near Nana after 5 you could have a walk through the night market set up along the Sukhumvit Road get a nice meal in any one of a number of relatively cheap restaurants, sit outside on the terrace of Landmark Hotel drink tea and maybe a pastry, or have a cocktail and people watch.

Pop down to the Huntsman Bar (basement of the Landmark hotel) they have a live band on Saturday evenings and a very reasonable happy hour.

Sit in one of the outside beer bars in the (infamous) Nana Plaza and watch the antics of the bar girls.

Really in this area you are spoilt for choice.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
51 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

My family and I travel from Cape Town which via Dubai is a 10hr flight and then another 7 hrs onto to bangkok which leaves us pretty exhausted and grumpy.We usually take a shower immediately on getting to our hotel and have a 3 hr nap and then go off to a massage and dinner,after which we ready to sleep till the next morning.Works for us!!!

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Massage!

Book a couple of hours at Healthways Massage and then either head to a night market or go for a nice dinner!

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

Massage! Now that sounds like a great idea :-)

thanks y'all!

Malmö
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do on first afternoon / eve with jetlag?

I have actually found it easier to sleep with a stopover in Qatar/UAE. I stay awake and eat/drink on first leg from Europe, walk around some on the stopover, then I'm generally ready to sleep as soon as the plane is up.

On a non-stop flight, when it's time to sleep I'm usually overfatigued by just sitting in a cramped position for some hours.