We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

I will be in bangkok and phuket in late april, i would like to know where it would be better to get tailor made suits for men and dresses for ladies from, either bangkok or phuket? Also do you recommend any taiolrs that you have used? I will be in each location for 5 nights only, first bangkok then phuket.

many thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

I have use James Tailor on Nana Street for my friends. You can have them measuring your suit size

after its done they can also deliver its for you at the hotel you will be staying.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

**after its done they can also deliver its for you at the hotel you will be staying.**

^^

NEVER have a tailor do that!

You need to try on the finished product on before you accept it.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

Delivery to your hotel an hour before you check out is one of the many signs of a dodgy tailor. Obviously that leaves you with no time to try on the clothes, never mind complain when you notice the complete lack of quality. With only 5 nights you would be better buying off the rack at home.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

I have someone that I have used(and am happy with), but prefer not to recommend.

If you are getting a suit made, you need at LEAST 4 fittings. You need to know what you want. You need to know that you will be able to return to the shop every day/evening for additional fittings and alterations. You need to also understand that the MAJORITY of tailors in Bangkok will create the most generic looking suit for you if you choose to walk into their shop and say.."I would like a man's suit."

The only thing that you will have is a cheap looking/ill fitting suit that was "measured" for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

**after its done they can also deliver its for you at the hotel you will be staying.**

^^

NEVER have a tailor do that!

You need to try on the finished product on before you accept it.

couldn't agree more especially when there are many scam tailor shop

Thank you for your advise

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

If you have a look at some of the threads about tailoring in both Bangkok and Phuket, I think it might put you off the idea. Of course you'll find a number of first posters who will recommend a particular place, but you know what that means.

Unfortunately having tailored garments made in Thailand is fraught with difficulties and so often ends in disappointment.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

Quality depends on how much you are prepared to pay. The really good ones where locals go for tailoring dont do fast turnaround. Price depends on material and on how much material you need.

Price for a top end cotton shirt from 2500 THB up.

London, England
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

Nomadic is absolutely right about 2500 baht being a guide price for a good quality cotton shirt, accurately tailored and with decent buttons and properly-made buttonholes. My husband had highly variable experiences (!) with tailors before finding a good one for shirts and they take a week to make a decent shirt for that sum on site. Those last two words are important: most so-called "tailors" are in fact shop fronts and all work is contracted-out to factories.

As Travelkat suggests (hi, kat - we are lurking in Perth currently!) read the tailoring threads and FAQs on scams. Tailoring is indeed tricky in Bangkok and also in Phuket. Womens' tailoring? Even more difficult! With your timescales, it might well be better to abandon the idea and concentrate on just having fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,988 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

un999, the simple answer is to forget this idea.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quality tailors for mens suits and ladies dresses

Hi Sue

What are you doing lurking in Perth? Send me a PM and let me know where you're staying and all that sort of thing. Hope you haven't melted by now.